Cavender Subaru Service Stinks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a “parasitic” battery drain in my RV also. I suspect it’s in the vehicle (Chevy) portion of the RV rather than the cabin equipment. I watched a couple of YouTube videos on how to track those down. I haven’t tried yet but it looks fairly simple if you have a meter to measure milli amps. At least discover the culprit involved

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a first time Subaru Outback owner myself. Great go any weather car! Guess I am fortunate to live only a few miles from Ferguson Subaru in Broken Arrow. Have had nothing but good service experiences with them. Did the fuel pump impeller recall with them. Pretty painless for them (and me) since I ran the fuel in the tank down pretty low. I deliberately did not buy an Outback with the power liftgate, as they are a known trouble point. It is correct that Subaru has redesigned a part in the liftgate mechanism to stop the parasitic voltage draw problem. Likely a call to Subaru of America is in order if you can't get service.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a “parasitic” battery drain in my RV also. I suspect it’s in the vehicle (Chevy) portion of the RV rather than the cabin equipment. I watched a couple of YouTube videos on how to track those down. I haven’t tried yet but it looks fairly simple if you have a meter to measure milli amps. At least discover the culprit involved
Some modern vehicles you have to wait 30 minutes to let all the systems shut off.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
I am a first time Subaru Outback owner myself. Great go any weather car! Guess I am fortunate to live only a few miles from Ferguson Subaru in Broken Arrow. Have had nothing but good service experiences with them. Did the fuel pump impeller recall with them. Pretty painless for them (and me) since I ran the fuel in the tank down pretty low. I deliberately did not buy an Outback with the power liftgate, as they are a known trouble point. It is correct that Subaru has redesigned a part in the liftgate mechanism to stop the parasitic voltage draw problem. Likely a call to Subaru of America is in order if you can't get service.
My beef with Ferguson is that they try to sell the unsuspecting car owner service that is not needed. Where the manual says "inspect" they want to "replace" and usually at intervals well below the manual recommendation; especially with engine, cabin air filters and differential oils. :pissed:
They try to do the same thing on the GMC side of the dealership.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My beef with Ferguson is that they try to sell the unsuspecting car owner service that is not needed. Where the manual says "inspect" they want to "replace" and usually at intervals well below the manual recommendation; especially with engine, cabin air filters and differential oils. :pissed:
They try to do the same thing on the GMC side of the dealership.
All dealers try the "added services" game. It is simple to consult the real recommended services list to decide what might be best appropriate in one's own circumstances. I buy OEM-type high quality air filters, cabin filters and wiper blades direct from Rock Auto, then install myself. Saves lotsa $$. Good "how to install" video's readily available online. There is at least one excellent Subaru Outback owners forum online. Worlds of knowledge and experiences on it.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I traced the drain down to a specific 30A fuse which amongst other things powers the lift gate control module. Was just another confirmation I was on the right track but again. Appears to be a factory only replaceable part.
@Snattlerake I appreciate the heads up with Bob Moore. 👍🏻

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
All dealers try the "added services" game. It is simple to consult the real recommended services list to decide what might be best appropriate in one's own circumstances. I buy OEM-type high quality air filters, cabin filters and wiper blades direct from Rock Auto, then install myself. Saves lotsa $$. Good "how to install" video's readily available online. There is at least one excellent Subaru Outback owners forum online. Worlds of knowledge and experiences on it.
Copy that, but what chaps my azz is when they pull this crap on women Subaru owners who are not mechanically inclined or don’t have a resource to check with.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some modern vehicles you have to wait 30 minutes to let all the systems shut off.
Yes what the videos say is the baseline for most vehicles once everything has shut off should be less than 50 mAmp when the meter is connected between the battery and the positive terminal

Coug91

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bob Moore in Edmond is the Gold standard in dealership customer service. Impeccable
I can agree with this. Had a warranty service for the exhaust. While they had it they discovered acseeping head gasket. Gave me a loaner and did the magic. Since they were going to pull the engine I asked about new spark plugs. They only charged for the new plugs. That was my outback. They did a warranty service on my wife's forester a couple months later. From these 2 events, when we're ready for new, we'll most likely buy from Bob Moore.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom