Cougar Killed in Cimmaron County

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't say I'm "friends" with a GW, but can say that they have made many busts with a phone call from me.
If they wrote me a ticket for something I did wrong, my opinion would be that I'm a dumb a$$ in the first place for doing it, and would deserve the ticket, and I wouldn't have any hard feeling toward them for doing it.
Thats what I pay my fees for. I pay them with my license fees to enforce the wildlife laws, and if I violate one of them, so be it.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i used to live on javine hill and saw lions more than once

I have seen the big cats twice, once along Elk Creek SW of Hobart 15 years ago mid day in an open wheat field stalking a dozen turkeys and came out of the same woods I was bow hunting in, and a cat had been sighted for years prior to that along the creek. Second time was two or three years ago on the Kimball ranch west of Marietta early AM.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone know what they do with the animals in this situation? Be pretty cool to have a full mount done and put on display in the wildlife department.

IDK about this kind of situation, but a 500+lb black bear ran out in front of my mom's car in north FL. It killed the bear and killed my mom's front bumper as well.

The GW came out and they weighed it. Well tried to weigh it. They brought a 500lb scale and it tipped it. She called my stepdad who was on the way with some friends to load it up so they could get it to a taxidermist and make a rug out of it.

GW said that they couldn't take it, and apparently their protocol is to "destroy" the carcass. It's a shame.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IDK about this kind of situation, but a 500+lb black bear ran out in front of my mom's car in north FL. It killed the bear and killed my mom's front bumper as well.

The GW came out and they weighed it. Well tried to weigh it. They brought a 500lb scale and it tipped it. She called my stepdad who was on the way with some friends to load it up so they could get it to a taxidermist and make a rug out of it.

GW said that they couldn't take it, and apparently their protocol is to "destroy" the carcass. It's a shame.

That is a shame. At least we can get a carcass tag here to do something with it if we hit one.

Here is something I didn't know until asking the local GW.
Now, this is something I asked about several years ago, and it may have changed, but I asked if it was ok to remove the antlers from a road killed buck, and was told it was not legal without a carcass tag.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is nothing that makes me laugh harder than to look over in the ditch and see a headless deer! I've stopped and whacked off a set of horns or two before. I can sort of see why it would be illegal, but I don't think anyone I know is going to pass up a nice set of horns sitting over in the ditch.

GW told me if you legally shoot a mt lion on your property, you cannot get it mounted. You must bury it on site, kinda sucks. But you start letting people mount them, I can see where that could increase the number killed, just to get a mount.

Latest posts

Top Bottom