Cyclists

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand and agree that you have every right to be on the roads and I applaud your devotion to fitness. But what I don't get, absolutely do not understand, is the time and places that you choose to ride. Busy, narrow roads during rush hour. The time of day that drivers are the most pre-occupied and most aggressive? Why not just play Russian Roulette? You may have the right to be on the road, but a 5000 pound at 45 mph will crush your health.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some people bike to commute. I personally don't feel like I can justify 11mpg in a truck solely for moving myself around. So after I drop my kids off at daycare I typically ride my bicycle the rest of the way to school, about 11 miles. And as far as people riding on the busy roads, usually it's the busiest roads that have the nicest pavement. And riding even a mountain bike on rough pavement can be a painful experience. But some of the guys you're encountering may have no choice but to stay on the streets with the nice pavement, if they're on a road bike. One of those usually cannot handle giant potholes without shedding a few spokes and making you walk back to your house. And bicycle repairs can get expensive pretty quick

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are expensive bicycle repairs more costly than being killed or crippled? Is saving $6 per day in fuel expenses worth your kids growing up without a father?

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are expensive bicycle repairs more costly than being killed or crippled? Is saving $6 per day in fuel expenses worth your kids growing up without a father?

Oh no dude, because I commute and would rather not be late to things my bicycle is significantly more durable than a road bike. So I take the safer route rather than the one that's least harmful to my bike.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a buddy who is crazy into Fixies. He takes his in his Pathfinder to River Parks for regular weekend 20 mile rides with friends but I know he also has commuted to work at South Elm/71st in BA from from the 21st and Mingo area in Tulsa when the weather is good without getting killed some how. Fck that. I ride mine at River Parks or around the neighborhoods in Coweta but the hell with riding out on the road around BA or Tulsa, I dont even like driving there...

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a cyclist, and there is no way I want to be in traffic if I don't have to be. We ride the bike trails most of the time.

When I do set out on a long road ride I try to do it when there is less chance of traffic, and danger to myself. I also try to ride roads that have wide shoulders so I can be out of the traffic lanes, or less active roads.

I don't get the guys that want to exercise their right to use the road, and tempt their fate by riding in rush hour traffic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom