Deer Season 2014

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I'll start this off.

Hot day, went out this evening and got in the stand bout 4 and cooked. Bout 4:30 had a buck come stand under me, surprised he didn't smell the sweat rolling off me. Various does came through the hay meadow and sun started to hit the horizon. I said screw it and wanted to get out of the stand before the feeder went off and I got trapped in by a bunch of dinks. I tied my bow and started letting it down and looked up. Two smaller bucks entered the hay meadow across from me... too late for an exit. Grabbed my bow and about the time I got it in my lap, He entered. He was the one I was after. From 75 yards off he looked small, but due to the shape of his horns, I knew it was him. He quickly made his way to me and stopped about 25 yards out, right behind the feeder legs. I had to wait 12 painstaking minutes before he offered the shot I wanted. By then my arm was tired and I was getting shaky, so I put my bow on my seat, rested for a second, and caught my breath. Something caught his attention and he walked off. Crap! He finally quit staring and made his way back, at 27 yards, turned broad side and I let her rip. I have been practicing for this moment for over a month. When I let go, it was one of those feelings where I knew it was headed right where I wanted it. I saw the arrow sink in his side and he took off, but not very fast. He hit the tree line at 50 yards and disappeared, then I heard the crash. I shook. Repeatedly. Finally collected myself and texted my girlfriend. She was happier than I was, cause she knows she gets me back for a while now. Sat till the light was gone and got down when I thought I could make it without falling. Retrieved my arrow and saw good signs. Went and got the truck and a crappy flashlight, never thought I would need a light and knife tonight. About 20 yards inside the timber I found him. His body was freakin huge. His neck is big and solid, looks bigger than most other deer I have shot during the rut. My new personal best and I'm one happy little boy.

questmhsa.com_r00s7a_10_1_2014.JPG

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heck of a deer!!! Congrats!

I have seen 5 bucks and several does but not the one buck I'm looking for. My son killed a doe this evening, and I couldn't be prouder. He picked out his spot, built his blind, closed the deal, and even cleaned her by himself.
IMG_0434.jpgIMG_0445.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom