Doctors and gun question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a doctor, I would recommend you tell them, politely, it's none of your business what I own or do not own in my home but if I did own weapons they would be securely stored.

I don't ask that question of my patients. We talk about guns or shooting or hunting occasionally but not to ask about whether they have guns like guns are evil.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The question is disturbing. It seems that both schools and doctors are increasingly preempting parental rights under the banner of protecting children. Do our rights fly out the window when a medical figure or school figure is zealous about pursuing any possible abuse or neglect?

The answer increasingly seems to be "yes." The suspicion of possible abuse or neglect results in the parent being presumed guilty and his/her rights being trampled.

But does the state do a good job of protecting children under it's care and supervision? No. So where is this cycle going? Do we need to carry carry "legal rights cards" and the cell phone number of our lawyer whenever we go to a doctor's office or school?

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Do I have any firearms in my home? Yeah. And come to think of it, my shotgun had the same runny nose and cough about a week ago. You think it might have passed it on to my daughter?"

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My poor daughter got sick and we took her to the doctors office today. The nurse was asking the usual questions about eating habits and and what not and then she asks "are there any firearms in the home?" I kept my mouth shut for a moment and my wife looked at me. I then turned to the nurse and said I refuse to answer that. She explained I am required to ask ( funny that my daughter has been going there for about 2- 2 1/2 years and this is the first time we were asked ) and I reiterated I refuse to answer the question . I did not lie I neither confirmed nor denied. The reason I was there was because my daughter was sick what does firearms have to do with her coughing and her nose draining? IS there a law against DO from asking this question ?

Luckily, I don't think your doctor can cite you for perjury or contempt.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And under that at the state level is OKDHS, below is not a "Safety Assessment" for a neglect/abuse screening,
just a standard "house assessment" filled out when any benefits are applied for.

OKDHS "House Assesment" form
04AF004E (DCFS-11)
Assess the physical facilities of house for safety hazards.
1.Are weapons in the household? Yes___ No___
If yes, describe how are weapons stored so a child's access will be prevented.

List weapons.

http://www.okdhs.org/NR/rdonlyres/B7599D06-A7CB-45E9-8E73-229F1A94AF79/0/04AF004E.pdf

All the more reason to not be a welfare rat.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just tell them in a joking tone, "you don't need to know that". It irritates me when I'm checking out somewhere and they ask for my phone number. I ask "are you asking me for a date?" They usually move on right after that.

I was in H&H the other day buying some lead bullets and this big tall kid asked me for my name at the checkout. I said "what for, it's a cash sale?" He said "if you want to bring these back, we'll need it." I said, "really, you're going to take these bullets back if they don't work?" He never said another word.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a doctor, I would recommend you tell them, politely, it's none of your business what I own or do not own in my home but if I did own weapons they would be securely stored.

I don't ask that question of my patients. We talk about guns or shooting or hunting occasionally but not to ask about whether they have guns like guns are evil.

+1

I've never been asked this question and I would certainly speak to the Doctor about their choice to ask me that question. Depending on the attitude and answer, I would use this to help influence MY choice of them as my care provider.

And I'd let them know it in those words too...

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just tell them in a joking tone, "you don't need to know that". It irritates me when I'm checking out somewhere and they ask for my phone number. I ask "are you asking me for a date?" They usually move on right after that.

I was in H&H the other day buying some lead bullets and this big tall kid asked me for my name at the checkout. I said "what for, it's a cash sale?" He said "if you want to bring these back, we'll need it." I said, "really, you're going to take these bullets back if they don't work?" He never said another word.

I used to give out one of my buddy's phone numbers so he'd get added to the call lists... :)

It backfired on me though because Best Buy ended up having my name tied to his phone number and it all all messed up when he tried to do anything there lol. Busted.

So now, I normally use 867-5309 but I don't use the normal split in numbers and the cadence of the song.

Latest posts

Top Bottom