Doctors and gun question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My poor daughter got sick and we took her to the doctors office today. The nurse was asking the usual questions about eating habits and and what not and then she asks "are there any firearms in the home?" I kept my mouth shut for a moment and my wife looked at me. I then turned to the nurse and said I refuse to answer that. She explained I am required to ask ( funny that my daughter has been going there for about 2- 2 1/2 years and this is the first time we were asked ) and I reiterated I refuse to answer the question . I did not lie I neither confirmed nor denied. The reason I was there was because my daughter was sick what does firearms have to do with her coughing and her nose draining? IS there a law against DO from asking this question ?

bmwguy25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked int he medical industry on the business side and have never heard of anything of that nature before. I know they report suspicious bruises and things like that. I don't see how a firearm in the house would be a pertinent question.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep that happened to me a while back. They asked and my son looked straight at me with a grin. I told him to go on and tell them. He said yes my dad and I both have some. The question is on some form that is supplied by a government entity. I told them I did not feel that the question was relevent to the situation at hand.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My poor daughter got sick and we took her to the doctors office today. The nurse was asking the usual questions about eating habits and and what not and then she asks "are there any firearms in the home?" I kept my mouth shut for a moment and my wife looked at me. I then turned to the nurse and said I refuse to answer that. She explained I am required to ask ( funny that my daughter has been going there for about 2- 2 1/2 years and this is the first time we were asked ) and I reiterated I refuse to answer the question . I did not lie I neither confirmed nor denied. The reason I was there was because my daughter was sick what does firearms have to do with her coughing and her nose draining? IS there a law against DO from asking this question ?

The correct answer is "Nunya. Do you need me to spell that for you?" As for the question, there's no law against it, but there's no law requiring it either. You should file an official complaint with the business office of the treatment facility. Often times, the doctors themselves have no input on the forms being used and it's some pencil pushing pinhead that instituted the ridiculous policy. :(

JTA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You can refuse to answer any questions that a doctor asks that you feel uncomfortable answering (this goes beyond just the presence of firearms in the home). You can refuse to answer questions about tobacco, alcohol, sex, etc. A good physician is trained to preface his questions (esp. questions regarding social history) with something stating to the effect that the next line of questions are completely optional.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny thing is I was carrying when she asked. So I guess I could have said no there were no firearms in the house. But if they asked if I had firearms in their office ....ehhhh

Latest posts

Top Bottom