Educated a cop about transporting a firearm in a vehicle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think they wrote the law the way they did to deter someone from hiding a gun under something unless it was in a case. If I interpreted the law correctly, you can't have the gun hidden under the seat or something without it being in a a case.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep in mind that this is an affirmative defense statute -- it doesn't prohibit anything, and there is no law that says all other methods of transport are illegal or anything. There is a law that makes it a crime to carry a firearm on or about your person though (which is what a CCL gives you an exception to). If you were transporting an unloaded handgun that is covered up, or otherwise not meeting one of the affirmatively legal methods, they could get you under the carry statute if it is close enough to you in the car to be considered "about your person." I would say if it is concealed and easily within your reach from the driver's seat, they could probably get you on that charge.

As for popping in the mag, hitting the slide release, and taking care of business if you are threatened with death or serious bodily injury, I would say you would be stupid not to. Even if you get an ******* DA who charges you with unlawfully carrying a loaded weapon even though the shoot was justified, it is still just a misdemeanor. And you would have a pretty good defense under the doctrine of necessity. It would take a pretty chickenshit jury to convict you of it, too.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The laws on justified use of deadly force are totally separate from the laws governing carry or transport of a firearm. A good shoot is still a good shoot.

Would that also apply to the SYG Act?
From what I understood there, its defense was predicated on the actor not committing a crime.

Now I figure you'd still be good under the other justifiable homicide laws.

jhat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
jhat, now you are just being stubborn... in a comma-connected string of elements in which the last two elements are joined by "or," any Court would construe the law as having an "or" in between each element. Trust me, I slept in a Holiday Inn last night, and I'm a lawyer who does this **** every day for a living.

I have seen many instances of a logic deficiency in both the writing and the enforcement of laws (and even more so in the breaking of laws, lol)... I wouldn't call it "bashing" to point any of those facts out. Fortunately that's not how things went down in this situation.

I am a criminal defense attorney, and have been so for many years. I deal with dope and guns on a weekly basis. Advise your clients as you will and good luck!

jhat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The police will illuminate before they take you away. The lawyer will enlighten after you post bail and pay the attorneys fee.

Latest posts

Top Bottom