Ever think about retiring to another country?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theman4bran

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
The biggest impediment to retiring in another country is the IRS. They still want their full cut regardless of where you live. I'm not down with renouncing my US citizenship just to escape their grubby clutches. If I did retire somewhere else, the cost savings would have to offset the IRS and cost of living.
Seems we are not free because of that scam.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is that a Matt Foley lead in?
what-matt-foley-chris-farleys-snl-character-did-while-v0-nomzkh7wq7xc1.jpg

capnkirk462

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not retiring, but I have thought of moving to another country. Australia would be nice. Iceland I would probably be happy with, but it has exploded with tourist since Game of Thrones. Japan would be okay they have a population drain going on, but they can be xenophobic and getting loans is hard or so I have heard. But the one I would probably really love is Finland, those people are great, their language well not so. Looked into moving there in 2005 or so. Probably couldn't find a decent job for myself.

capnkirk462

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The other one I looked at moving to back in the day was Ukraine, well that is gone now. Cheap to live in and really great people. But you have to have money to live there because their economy was bad. The number one export of Ukraine was hard working Ukrainians.

Last edited:

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny side story. Not really just something I did.

I still have a wad of Mexican pesos from a trip I took years ago. Was equal to around $35-40 when I got back and that was probably working on 15-20 years ago.

mgssamn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not seriously.
My biggest issue is family/ grandkids. They are all close proximity to me and I could not leave at this point. I really wouldn't consider even it if I had no family. In my retirement I want to enjoy my what things I couldnt do as much while working. I don't like change and we still have it pretty good here.
Visiting another country would be good enough for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom