Experience of OC Yesterday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin40_2001

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I debated on posting this but thought I would go ahead and do it. I figure people are still very opinionated on if they will open carry or not. I will say for me that I did yesterday and may a few times but I doubt it will be part of my regular routine. Anyway on to the story...

I was out running errands yesterday evening. I decided to open carry my XD9. I stopped at Braums on 164th and Penn and grabbed some dinner. The place wasn't full by any means and probably had 12-15 customers. I got a few looks but I have never seen a Braums employee take an order so fast. Overall, I chalked it up to it taking some time to get used to.

I then needed to grab a few things from Walmart. I live in Edmond so I frequently visit the Wally World on Santa Fe. I picked up some razors, IBprofen, and few miscelaneous items then headed back to sporting goods to browse thinking I might find some .223 ammo in stock. The associate working in sporting goods was an older gentleman (I am 29) probably in his late 40s. He helped me get the items I needed then proceeded to say, "Walmart has a no firearms policy" in which he was referencing my XD. I politely asked if he was sure because I always check for signs, etc. He said, "pretty sure". I politely asked if he would verify because I had not heard of this before and I didn't see any signs. A few minutes later he comes back with his manager who apologizes and checks me out personally. I don't think this was a negative experience necessarily but the associate was definitely rushing me and kept asking if he could help me or if that would be all. The amusing thing is that I have had at least 3 interactions with this same employee while carrying concealed over the past two months and he didn't act like that.

Thoughts? Did I do anything wrong to handle the situation?

thegomezclan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's because Norman has a small town feel or because the Norman PD went out of its way to inform its citizen but I have a good experience every place I been OCing. I did CC in Toys R Us today because my son wanted to spend his hard earned allowance there. Other than that I've been OCing.

acp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only thing I find sad is that someone on this board finds someone exercising his 2A rights juvenile. While I doubt I will open carry much I do like CC and not having to worry about being spotted by some anti gunner and then have to deal with the police. In fact was in Bed Bath Beyond and my wife wanted to see a comforter in a bag way up high. Normally I would have gotten someone in the store to get it because when I raise my arms my OWB holster and pistol become visible. There was a lady to the right of me. I reached up on tippy toes to get it and my pistol was in plain sight. I figured the lady next to me would take off. Nope, she did not give it a second though. So far I am glad we have open carry and anybody that does it responsibly is good by me.

WillR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only thing I find sad is that someone on this board finds someone exercising his 2A rights juvenile.

People here are quick to criticize. It's usually about the same thing. A post then some info and discussion and along about the tenth post someone tells the op what a dumbass he is.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you handled it very professionally. I had my own experience yesterday but I really wouldn't consider it open carry per se. I was at Cracker Barrel with the Mrs. and her parents for dinner. I usually dress in a t-shirt and then an open button-down shirt over it with part of the t-shirt tucked under the grip of my gun. I rock back in the chair and start to stretch and felt my outer shirt drop past my side where the gun is and was like "oops!" and leaned forward real quick, looking around hoping no one saw it and freak out. Then I remembered we could OC, so I shrugged and did it again and didn't care who saw it. It felt good to not have to worry about "brandishing."

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think you did very well.

It is to be expected that there will be people that are nervous at first when seeing someone open carrying, but if we all conduct ourselves as good citizens, it will become a non issue just like in the 40 something other OC states.

I hope you and others will continue to OC on occasion to help get everyone used to it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom