FAL/Cetme/HK style 3.08 rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltydog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I stopped by Cold Hand arms last night and he had 3 PTR's (2 sbr's and 1 STD length) sitting out to tempt me. I think I'll have to have one come tax return time. Now, do I get the sbr or STD length? Hmmm......

From first hand experience:

If you decide to buy a PTR, I would stray away from the AWXXXX serial numbered rifles as (most of these) were the rifles that had problems using Nato 7.62 surplus tar sealed ammo. I own one of these rilfes and had those problems including a broken bolt around the roller area.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/saltydog_saltydog/BrokenBolt3.gif

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/saltydog_saltydog/BrokenBolt2.gif

The broken bolt was a product of a bad run of US made bolts. It happend fast (within one mag load). I think this problem has been fixed but there are probably rifles out there that have not been shot that may have one of these bolts. PTR will warranty the rifle if the bolt breaks. They are good with customer service. They replaced mine with a like new HK made bolt and carrier. I guess they didn't want mine to come back. Now for problem number 2. According to the HK Pro's at the HK forums, PTR decided to tighten up the chamber a bit, leave the barrel heavy up front (no slight taper like the original HK) and "possibly" did not make the flutes in the chamber deep enough. All of this was done to improve accuracy. My rifle with that type barrel:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/saltydog_saltydog/g3x.jpg

That said, my rifle will choke on surplus 7.62 ammo after about 30 rounds. The rifle decides to turn into a single shot rifle. FTEx. Clean the chamber flutes and you can repeat the process with about another 30 rounds of surplus ammo. Same problem. Now if you shoot the recommended .308 thats on their list, no problems. I can shoot thru Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Tula .308 steel case all day long with zero problems but I am limited to certain types of ammo. I don't like that. That rifle should shoot anything you feed it (my opinion) just like the original.

Good news is, PTR now makes a PTR 91 GI model that uses the exact same spec. barrel as the original HK91. Lots of good news reported on this rifle. I bought my rifle before PTR came out with this GI version. If I had it to do over I would have bought the later. The GI model has been tested to shoot all types ammo.

I still like the rifle I have and will keep it. The plus side of the 91 is mags are dirt cheap. I have over 100 - 20 round mags @ 97 cents each. Can't beat that for .308 mags :)

preokc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That said, my rifle will choke on surplus 7.62 ammo after about 30 rounds. The rifle decides to turn into a single shot rifle. FTEx. Clean the chamber flutes and you can repeat the process with about another 30 rounds of surplus ammo. Same problem. Now if you shoot the recommended .308 thats on their list, no problems. I can shoot thru Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Tula .308 steel case all day long with zero problems but I am limited to certain types of ammo. I don't like that. That rifle should shoot anything you feed it (my opinion) just like the original.

Thx for the info Saltydog. I bought a PTR 91 with the 16 inch barrel and telescopic buttstock acouple years ago but have never shot it. Ive got a FMP portugal built 91 clone that ive had for twelve years and has operated flawless for me.

What pisses me off is i bought alot of Hurtenberg 7.62 nato ammo when it was cheap and looking at the PTR 91 web site that ammo is listed as one ammo not to use. Ive looked through the owners manual and no were does it say not to shoot surplus ammo!!!!!!! Also when looking in the stats the caliber is listed as 7.62 Nato (308). On there website they claim that this is not a warrantable malfunction and if the rifle is sent in and that is the found problem the owner will be charged.

Well i guess Ill shoot it and see how it does. What a load of crap! A military rifle that cant shoot military surplus? WTF!!

That being said, Smallscalepilot ild think twice maybe about a PTR 91. Thats sad to as its a beautiful rifle.

smallscalepilot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow. I didn't know there was that much variance in this platform of rifles! No wonder AK's and AR's are so popular- almost everything interchanges!

Still, the SBR PTR 91 I held las night is sweet. I guess they are like my Tommy gun' just a lot of neat factor.

Thanks for all the info

preokc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Wow. I didn't know there was that much variance in this platform of rifles! No wonder AK's and AR's are so popular- almost everything interchanges!

Still, the SBR PTR 91 I held las night is sweet. I guess they are like my Tommy gun' just a lot of neat factor.

Thanks for all the info

Interchangability is the AR's biggest asset for sure. Although the HK 91 and its clones are pretty sweet too just a different breed.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v460_preokc_Picture765.jpg

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own a CETME. It's awesome for about five rounds then it turns into a huge piece. Clear the jam and it's awesome for another five to six rounds. :P FTF, FTE, stovepipes, double feeds.....

I replaced all the internals, bolt gap checked out clear, tried a bunch of different kinds of ammo, new magazines....

Finally just quit trying to get the thing to work right, declared it unsafe to shoot, and bought an AK.

On the other hand, I LOVE my SAR-2. So it worked out for the better. :P PTR91 GI seriously piques my interest though.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also love the FAL. I have had 6 of them over the years....except I have never had on that is 100% Even a Herstel FN all of them left me behind at times unlike the M-14/M1A... Now I am not hatin but I have never seen one be 100%. I really DO like them though!!! KurtM

Latest posts

Top Bottom