FAL/Cetme/HK style 3.08 rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallscalepilot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a curiosity of the HK/FAL/Cetme style of rifles. I have a couple (that she knows about) AR-15 platforms, but would like to have something different in a .30 cal that's not a AK/SKS.

I'm very familiar with AR's, and just looking for info on a different black rifle.

Do the interchange like AR's?

Caliber options?

Any info would be great

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The FAL is the AK of battle rifles. It will never let you down, unless you cause it to fail. They are a bit ugly, but only in that they look like machines. It's like Bob Dunlap speaking of the Glock, "it doesn't look like a GUN, it looks like a TOOL."

You should buy one, and shoot the crap out of it.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The CETME and the HK have a lot of similarities. Magazines and a lot of the parts interchange but there is a definite difference in quality. The HK is the better quality and they are expensive.

In their earlier days, I would have recommended a Vector Arms type of HK style, but since their legal troubles, quality and customer service have gone WAY down.

The HK style can be had in either .223/5.56 or .308/7.62X51.

The FN/Fal is one of the best rifles ever made. The best version that seems to be on the market right now are the ones made by DSArms. They do make a good product, but there are complaints of slow and poor customer service.

preokc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The HK and Cetme are blow back operated rifles that use rollers to slow down the blowback operation. I believe the Cetme was the design the HK evolved from. Some parts will intechange but there are small differances.

The FAL uses a gas driven piston to operate a sliding or tipping bolt similiar to an sks rifle. Very solid rifle.

I like both and have shot many of both rifles. The FAL is a sturdier rifle as it uses a milled reciever vs the HK's stamped sheet metal reciever. Also the bolt design on the HK as it wears has differant sized rollers to replace to set the head spacing. The FAL will hold its tolerace probably forever.

What i dont like about both is it seems like mounting optics was an after thought. The HK uses a claw mount and the FAL uses a replaceable dust cover to mount a scope to.

BE AWARE of some CAI built cetme rifles as they had alot problems when they were first built! PTR 91 makes a great version of the HK 91 and there prices are getting better too.

smallscalepilot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good info. I've seen quite a few at gun shows and vary wildly on prices. I like the look, feel, and the 7.62 caliber. I just didn't know enough about them to make an educated purchase. I'll do some more research on these.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What i dont like about both is it seems like mounting optics was an after thought. The HK uses a claw mount and the FAL uses a replaceable dust cover to mount a scope to.

An afterthought for optics would be true; both rifles were designed to be "battle rifles" - the mounting of optics has come from people trying to get more accuracy from rifles meant to be shot through iron sights by conscripted soldiers.

I may possibly pick up an HK91 clone here in a week or so; have an FAL variant and love it.

BE AWARE of some CAI built cetme rifles as they had alot problems when they were first built! PTR 91 makes a great version of the HK 91 and there prices are getting better too.

I also understand that there was a period of time when the PTR rifles had extraction issues as well; there is still an "ammo disclaimer" on their website that says what ammo you aren't supposed shoot out of it - and it's pretty long and includes some good military surplus. I think they designed the chamber with less flutes than the original design? At any rate, the G3/HK91 is supposed to be noted for eating any and all ammo you put through it, and being reliable in any condition. My only concern is the bolt gap you alluded to.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a FAL and a CETME. A PTR-91 is on the short list hopefully for sometime this year.

Mags for the FAL used to be common as dirt and could be had for as little as $5 apiece.

The PTR is, IMHO, a better choice than the CETME even though it costs twice as much. HK mags are dirt cheap and readily available right now. The PTR can use HK parts which are much easier to come by than CETME parts. The possibility of getting a turd when buying a CETME is also much greater.

smallscalepilot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stopped by Cold Hand arms last night and he had 3 PTR's (2 sbr's and 1 STD length) sitting out to tempt me. I think I'll have to have one come tax return time. Now, do I get the sbr or STD length? Hmmm......

Latest posts

Top Bottom