FAL/Cetme/HK style 3.08 rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltydog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thx for the info Saltydog. I bought a PTR 91 with the 16 inch barrel and telescopic buttstock acouple years ago but have never shot it. Ive got a FMP portugal built 91 clone that ive had for twelve years and has operated flawless for me.

What pisses me off is i bought alot of Hurtenberg 7.62 nato ammo when it was cheap and looking at the PTR 91 web site that ammo is listed as one ammo not to use. Ive looked through the owners manual and no were does it say not to shoot surplus ammo!!!!!!! Also when looking in the stats the caliber is listed as 7.62 Nato (308). On there website they claim that this is not a warrantable malfunction and if the rifle is sent in and that is the found problem the owner will be charged.

Well i guess Ill shoot it and see how it does. What a load of crap! A military rifle that cant shoot military surplus? WTF!!

That being said, Smallscalepilot ild think twice maybe about a PTR 91. Thats sad to as its a beautiful rifle.

I feel your pain. I got sick to my stomach after I thru down a Grand of cash for mine and found out later about the surplus ammo issue. I can honestly say I did not do my research very well on this rifle. Heck, I never had a bolt break on me ever, not even on a Tech-9 :(

To those who got a good one, I congratulate you. Me....just my luck.

My M1A shoots everything but I mostly have a bunch of surplus Portuguese I bought in the early 90's. Dang, without any research, I truly thought that a HK cloned 91 would shoot that stuff! :(

I'm still going to keep it....

preokc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Went and shot my PTR-91 yesterday for the first time. Put 40 rounds of German DAG ammo through it with no problems. My rifle has the AW prefix which is the prefix that some rifles have had the problems with the broken bolts. From what ive read though my serial range is before they had that problem.

Was impressed with the rifle. I stopped every three rounds at first for two reasons. One, to check the bolt and two, to clean the barrel for break in reasons. I was glad to see the bolt never had a problem. I also had no problems with failures to extract but since i was cleaning it so much that problem wouldnt show up for now. I did just load up 10 rounds at the end and do a 10 round dump just to see if any problems would occur but none did.

I was surprised how well i liked the telescopic stock. When just handling the gun it seems kinda awkward. The butt plate has a curve to it that doesnt weld up to my shoulder much but with the guns light recoil it didnt present a problem.

Do i still think its BS that there might be ammo's that cause FTEX problems? HELL YES! But at this point I like the rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom