Family Says Moore Police Beat Father To Death

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GlocknRoll

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All this whining about "innocent until proven guilty" is BS. When this started he was alive and by the end he was dead. What was he guilty of? According to the police statements his offenses were: not providing ID, taking an aggressive posture, and lastly...flexing his fist. Nowhere has anyone accused him of threatening, shoving, punching, trying to take a swing, pulling a weapon, or even having a weapon. And you can d@mn well bet if he had the chief would have said so. The punishment doesn't fit the crime. The police should have defused the situation not made it worse by their heavy handed practices. In the video, the man gasped "can't breath" and then he exhaled his last bit of air a few seconds later (which is audible) and what did it get him, nothing but more pressure exerted on his back. Then they continued to sit on him until he stopped twitching I guess, because they didn't get off, even after he was restrained. They appear to be using excessive pressure on his back keeping him pinned until he stopped twitching (but a dying body does that at times). I know I wouldn't have been able to breath in that position, and this guy was heavier and older than me. What I'd like to know is were they trying to cause him to back out? Is this the training methods taught to officers now? If so, they killed one this time. Notice I said "killed," it wasn't an accident, nor was the the man's fault, it was the over zealous and aggressive methods used that caused this incident. When he was rolled over his bladder was clearly starting to let go, but when he was placed, as he was, semi on his back with chin down, his bladder then completely let go (you can see the puddle of piss)...he died. But what truly astounds me is the fact no one attempted any CPR until the ambulance arrived - when it was obvious - what happening. The only way you can justify the officers actions is to say they have no responsibility for the lives they have asserted authority over. They took his liberty, and they took his life, after he had no means to preserve it. So, to all the LEO's that I just pissed off, I'm sorry you don't like my opinion, but I'm just calling it like I see it. But I'm sure, these guys will be cleared of any wrong doing by the agencies investigating. But I'm also sure, the officers, the agencies that employ them, and Harkins will almost certainly be sued and I strongly suspect that they will lose.
IMG_0877.JPG
You nailed it Mike

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so regardless of what happened before the beginning of the video we have seen, are we in agreement that the continued pressure on the victims back after he was restrained was superfluous and was a factor in the mans death?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Officer Minnard walks up, says, ‘Hey we are investigating a crime here, need your identification.' Subject refuses, starts to take off, gets into a fighting stance," said Adams.

"He took this, I'd say, a step back and got into a stance that was an aggressive stance," said Adams. "Officer Minnard grabs his left hand to take it back behind his back. When he does, the individual shrugs and throws him down to the ground. He pulls him with him and they go to the ground."

Cop is investigating possible crime, cop asks for ID to figure out who is who, cop attempts to detain uncooperative suspect, cop gets thrown to the ground. Fight ensues. Obese, out of shape, man tragically dies in the process.

People die on the crapper every day. People die walking their dog. It's not outrageous or abnormal for someone to die as a result of a strenuous physical altercation.

If you get into a fight with the cops, I expect you to lose. If you think you're billy-bad-ass enough to go up against the cops, you might try a little cardio and eat a salad first.

I'm sad for the family and I'm sad for the cops, but if the mom doesn't assault her daughter in public and/or the husband shows his ID and explains what is happening in a civil manner to officers responding to the assault, we wouldn't be reading/arguing about this.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MOORE, Oklahoma - New details were revealed Wednesday night on a key piece of evidence involving a metro man who died in police custody. News 9 showed cell phone video of part of the incident. Now, we're learning what's in a second video that shows the entire thing.

Luis Rodriguez died Feb. 15 after a family fight in the parking lot of the Warren Theater in Moore. His wife took cell phone video of some of the police involvement and now the attorney for one of the Moore officers explains what he saw in the theater's surveillance video.

"We have nothing to hide," said attorney Scott Adams.

Adams is representing Moore Police Officer Ryan Minnard. Adams says he watched the surveillance video with Moore Police's Internal Affairs Division when they interviewed Minnard.

"Officer Minnard walks up, says, ‘Hey we are investigating a crime here, need your identification.' Subject refuses, starts to take off, gets into a fighting stance," said Adams.

The subject is Luis Rodriguez, whose wife had just slapped their daughter during a fight. News 9 asked Adams to explain the "fighting stance" Rodriguez allegedly took.

"He took this, I'd say, a step back and got into a stance that was an aggressive stance," said Adams. "Officer Minnard grabs his left hand to take it back behind his back. When he does, the individual shrugs and throws him down to the ground. He pulls him with him and they go to the ground."

Adams says pepper spray was used as officers struggled to handcuff Rodriguez.

"There's no beating at all and I think that needs to be made clear is that during both the videos, and you can watch them both. There is not any kind of a beating."

Adams says officers are trained to take suspects to the ground this way and even the knee on the back is a textbook move to gain control.

"I hate it for the Rodriguez's. It was a very tragic event, but you know things happen whenever you resist from the police like that on lawful commands."

The attorney for Luis Rodriguez's family says he has asked to see the Warren Theater video, but the theater and Moore Police have not made that happen.

http://www.news9.com/story/24835459...fficer-shares-new-details-on-in-custody-death

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I get your point SMS, and dont necessarily disagree. I have stayed away from this thread until more was known so as to not get caught up in the BS, but it does seem that the suspect was well subdued long before the police/security detail stopped the application of force. That is my major concern at this point. If they had him subdued, why was it necessary to park them selves on his back when it was clear he was in distress?
I realize that the procedure is an effective method to retain control of a subject, it just seems to go beyond what was necessary to control the situation and if it had not been used perhaps the individual would be alive. Of course that is conjecture, but that is all we have except for what is in the video.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Cop is investigating possible crime, cop asks for ID to figure out who is who, cop attempts to detain uncooperative suspect, cop gets thrown to the ground. Fight ensues. Obese, out of shape, man tragically dies in the process.

People die on the crapper every day. People die walking their dog. It's not outrageous or abnormal for someone to die as a result of a strenuous physical altercation.

If you get into a fight with the cops, I expect you to lose. If you think you're billy-bad-ass enough to go up against the cops, you might try a little cardio and eat a salad first.

I'm sad for the family and I'm sad for the cops, but if the mom doesn't assault her daughter in public and/or the husband shows his ID and explains what is happening in a civil manner to officers responding to the assault, we wouldn't be reading/arguing about this.

+1

Exactly my read of this situation as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom