Fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If swordfish on the menu seems cheap it's probably shark.
Yep, USDA allows shark meat to be sold under different names as long as the taste and texture are similar.

Alternate names for shark meat include flake, dogfish, grayfish, and whitefish. Imitation crab (surimi) and fish and chips are sometimes made from shark meat as well.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I understand in most of the gulf and Florida waters we really need to harvest more sharks. They’re overrun.
This is true. Sport fishermen are having massive issues with sharks taking their catch while retrieving them. In the early 2000's finning and overharvesting of sharks was an issue as they are part of the ecosystem. Restrictions to harvest remain in place to this day because of that overfishing issue that started with the Jaws movie some say.

Charter fishing captain Jamie Glasner said NOAA restrictions on fishing for the sharks instituted in 2008 have resulted in a huge population boom for the sharks. He regularly takes groups with Fin and Fly Charters miles and miles offshore to catch and release the large animals, which are protected under federal law.
Restrictions on fishing for the sharks have been in place since 2008.

"NOAA fisheries probably needs to do another assessment and look at the shark population," Glasner added.

Most of these recent attacks in Florida are in knee deep water by sharks that are 3-5' long. Even that short they can remove the calf of one's leg that will require removal of the entire leg above the wound but are protected in Alabama anyway when we were there at Gulf Shores until they reach about 5+ feet. I don't have the exact number at hand.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Caught 42 bass and several perch Saturday morning. Nothing to brag about, but on 2 pound line it was a lot of fun!
IMG_20240803_083039691_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20240803_083834179_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20240803_091253273_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20240803_091025484_HDR.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They appear stunted? That many in one small body of water need to be thinned out so the rest can grow.
That they do!

We have been fishing this little 52 acre lake for for past 5 years, and for the most part, except for the crappie, these bass do seem stunted. When the crappie are biting, it's nothing to catch slabs in the 1 1/2 pound to 3 pound range.

As for the bass, there are a few in there that will go from 7-10 pounds, and we manage to catch one or two of them a year. For the most part though, there seem to be more of these stunted bass than anything else.

There are a lot of small perch and bluegill here too, so I believe the bass have plenty to eat.

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pulled this guy out of Kelly Lane Pond at Kelly Lane Park in Sapulpa early this afternoon:

1723511021149.png

I also caught a bluegill (might have been a hybrid, not 100% sure). The bluegill did not want its picture taken, though. Caught both of them in less than 20 minutes on a white roadrunner.

I had taken a friend there on July 28th and we both got absolutely skunked that day. Pretty sure it was just too hot to fish that day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom