Fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angler2312

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my anchor from Saturday Night. Anchor.jpg

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Caught these little fellas last weekend.
I could feel the bites,
The bait on my hooks kept disappearing.
So I kept going down in size on my hooks until I started catching some.
Caught about 19 in an hour once I got the hook small enough.

Sometimes it is more fun trying to get the little ones than waiting for the big ones.
IMG_20240811_184421490_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240811_193748391.jpg
IMG_20240811_195117408.jpg

IMG_20240811_184211053_HDR.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well. They were caught in a creek about 2 miles upstream from the Arkansas River. And about another 2 miles from where the river runs into Kaw Lake. If you can make sense of my description, it could be either. The sand bass and hybrids have made it to this location before during the spawning times.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well. They were caught in a creek about 2 miles upstream from the Arkansas River. And about another 2 miles from where the river runs into Kaw Lake. If you can make sense of my description, it could be either. The sand bass and hybrids have made it to this location before during the spawning times.
Lots of white perch in Kaw. From what I was told, be it right or wrong, somebody from the Northern states moved to a town in Ks. Decided to stock his pond with white perch because he liked to eat them.
The pond overflowed during a severe rainstorm and the fish eventually made it into Kaw Lake, and Sooner Lake as Sooner pumps water from the Arkansas River to keep its lake full. I can't confirm that story, but remember reading that somewhere.
The way to tell if it's a true white perch is that their main dorsal fin doesn't fold down. It's rigid which prevents a lot of fish from using them as a food source while they decimate Walleye, crappie and sand bass eggs.
Walleye or White Bass eggs can make up 100% of White Perch diet depending on which fish is spawning. During a three-year study, this diet was found to be unique in that: 1) eggs were eaten for a comparatively long time, 2) they were the only significant food item eaten by adults during two of the three years, 3) large volumes were eaten per individual, and 4) most fish were feeding. White Perch also feeds heavily on minnows Notropis spp. (Schaeffer and Margraf 1987). The collapse of the Walleye fishery in the Bay of Quinte (on the north shore of Lake Ontario) coincided with the increase in the White Perch population and may have been a result of egg predation and lack of recruitment (Schaeffer and Margraf 1987).

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got in the river at the western edge of my property and fished all the way to the eastern edge and back, and I got a lot of bites but only caught 9 in the 8-12” range and threw them all back. The trek down the river and back is about 2.25 miles, and when I got to my turn around spot, I was worn out from walking in the water and sand and still had to walk all the way back to the 4 wheeler. :rolleyes2

Latest posts

Top Bottom