Fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are going to fish Sooner remember to power wash your boat bunks, boat and rinse your engine exhaust with water afterwards to rid any zebra mussels that might have attached themselves or are occupying any wet areas on the boat. Rinse the live wells maybe with a little Chlorox. WE DON'T WANT TO SPREAD ZEBRA MUSSELS TO ANY OTHER WATER IN OKLA. Sooner has a zebra mussel issue. It would be a good idea to put your garden hose attached to your engine water bra and run the engine for a few minutes to flush those possible mussels out of the engine. Rant over! Just being my anal self. Carry on.
Kaw, Ponca, Keystone and the Arkansas river system has the zebra mussels. Recently found in the Colorado river which effects every lake in that system.
When I worked at the power plant at Sooner Lake, OSU was doing a study to see if there was any way to remove them and preserve the fish. Have no idea what has happened in that project. Probably still ongoing as there has been no announcement of a success story.
If you tow a boat of any kind including a canoe or kayak into some of the rocky mountain states, your required to pull over at an inspection station to check for the mussels. Same with the boat ramps on Lake Superior. There is a person stationed at every boat ramp every day to make sure your boat is cleaned before and after launching.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kaw, Ponca, Keystone and the Arkansas river system has the zebra mussels. Recently found in the Colorado river which effects every lake in that system.
When I worked at the power plant at Sooner Lake, OSU was doing a study to see if there was any way to remove them and preserve the fish. Have no idea what has happened in that project. Probably still ongoing as there has been no announcement of a success story.
If you tow a boat of any kind including a canoe or kayak into some of the rocky mountain states, your required to pull over at an inspection station to check for the mussels. Same with the boat ramps on Lake Superior. There is a person stationed at every boat ramp every day to make sure your boat is cleaned before and after launching.

Oologah Lake is flush with them and has been for years😉

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son worked the boat ramps about 6-7 yrs ago in in Utah and Wyoming. Anyone entering and leaving the water was inspected and witnessed washing their boats.

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Caught these two dinks at the ODOT pond at 36th St. N and US 169 in Tulsa this evening.

Got them on a green road runner (after I lost the spinner to the weeds in the pond).
PXL_20240906_231350424.jpg
PXL_20240906_231454270.jpg

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure that the two really small ones aren't the same fish. Those two and the other one with the similar weeds in the background were all caught at Kelly Lane Park on a white Beetle Spin.

I moved on to Veteran's Park in Jenks for the biggest one. Same Beetle Spin jig head and spinner, but I changed the white twin-tail grub out for a curly tail grub (blue with a yellow tail) because the bigger of the three fish from Kelly Lane had torn up the white Beetle Spin grub.

And I took my GSD pup with me. He still gets car sick, but he was really well behaved the whole time. Not a bad day.

Attachments

• PXL_20240909_201947935.jpg
    PXL_20240909_201947935.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240909_180356165.jpg
    PXL_20240909_180356165.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240909_175542663.jpg
    PXL_20240909_175542663.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240909_174908829.jpg
    PXL_20240909_174908829.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240909_203414356.jpg
    PXL_20240909_203414356.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240909_174346599.jpg
    PXL_20240909_174346599.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 0

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure that the two really small ones aren't the same fish. Those two and the other one with the similar weeds in the background were all caught at Kelly Lane Park on a white Beetle Spin.

I moved on to Veteran's Park in Jenks for the biggest one. Same Beetle Spin jig head and spinner, but I changed the white twin-tail grub out for a curly tail grub (blue with a yellow tail) because the bigger of the three fish from Kelly Lane had torn up the white Beetle Spin grub.

And I took my GSD pup with me. He still gets car sick, but he was really well behaved the whole time. Not a bad day.
Nice catch!
I could never take my Brittany with me fishing. As soon as I would cast, he would leap from the boat or the bank to chase the lure.
Once and done with my buddy that has sadly passed.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom