Flathead engines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What can you tell me about these 2 engines? Are they worth anything? They've been kept out of the weather but are stuck now. Probably not ruined since they were free spinning when stored. I'm willing to part with them.
IMG_20221103_182214137.jpg
IMG_20221103_182150704.jpg
IMG_20221103_182208684.jpg
IMG_20221103_182140838.jpg

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot depends on whether they were stored inside or outdoors. If stored outdoors, they're notorious for getting water in the cylinders and cracking the bores when it freezes.

If their cylinders are intact, there are folks who love those old flatheads and are willing to shell out good money for them. It has been a long time since I've done anything with a flathead, but I'm pretty sure those old mills are sleeved, so even if they're seized, it's not a huge deal to get them back in working order--as long as the block isn't cracked.

I couldn't tell you where to sell them now, but Chickasha used to have a big antique car swap meet every spring (my dad and I went once back in the '80s, and it was huge). Hemmings Motor News used to be a reliable source of used parts for antiques and classics.

https://www.hemmings.com/topics

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They've been stored inside a barn so out of the rain. We are supposed to have a fall festival in talihina this weekend and there should be a car show . I'll haul them down there and see if any interest .

hemphill

Marksman
Reaction score
They look like they are buildable. I see one has top mount distributor and is probably a later model, which is more desirable. The one with the loose heads might be an earlier model with a front distributor, so it may not be as desirable for hot rods.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@swampratt could probably get 1000 hp out of each of those suckers.
It would blow up past 700 HP.
You just about need boost to reach 300 HP.
3 mains. I will pass on hot rodding one.
You can add more mains though and add some cam bearings.

You will need it if you plan on power adders.
I will say they are very cool looking though and my Cousin still drives his dads old Ford with original Flat head. Tweaked of course.
Tows it on a trailer behind his motor home and that is his driver to go from point A-B

We drove it around OKC when he was in town.

1667568275428.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom