Food prepping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I believe people should be prepping food. But do you buy emergency food like my patriots supply or store rice beans and such. My problem with the patriots and others are the expense and taste. What do peppers do.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For storing dry goods i like either mylar bags and oxygen absorbers or in mason jars and oxygen absorbers. Works great for: beans, rice, oats, sugar, flour, instant potatoes, popcorn kernels, macaroni noodles, etc…

Also we do home Pressure canned meats/foods. Obviously store bought canned foods are excellent as well and most last at least a couple years longer than the expiration dates if stored properly.

We keep some of the expensive freeze dried stuff too.

We don’t have a giant stockpile. But we try to keep enough to last our family a couple months just in case.

Once we opened some Mylar goods that were about 10 years old. A lot of it smelled funky and had kind of gone off. Fed most of it to the chickens. Since that experience, we make sure to rotate our stock every 3-5yrs ish. Everything is still fresh that way and we actually eat the food instead of just storing forever then trashing it.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@tim you really need to decide just what you are hoping to accomplish. Are you wanting a couple weeks of food stashed in the event of a bad ice storm or do you want a basement filled with enough food to last you and your entire family for a year? Are you wanting to put it away and not touch it for 20 years or are you the kind of person that will actively stay on top of expiration dates and rotate your stores? You really need to paint us a clear picture.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
im kind of f***ed in the A**

I predominately eat carnivore. Most of the long term shelf stable foods are just carbohydrate overload - I keep some SPAM and some canned chicken breast but cant stomach canned tuna or salmon - the chicken is tough enough to deal with

It does occur to me though that if the lights are out longer than a month for some reason, rice and macaroni would probably taste pretty darn good

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well that’s way beyond anything what I’ve done. What if seen and read from people that have that same goal is they have an entire room they’ve turned into a pantry. If it were me and I was planning for a years worth of food. Would be to keep your diet on the simpler side of things and just keep more of whatever you’re already eating.

Latest posts

Top Bottom