Food prepping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First of all, don't store food you don't normally eat. I always hear about people storing 5-gallon buckets of rice and/or beans. I don't eat that stuff now, so why would I want to eat it in an emergency? I like Thrive freeze-dried foods and use them regularly.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep what you NORMALLY eat
Keep stocks rotated

We stock up whatever is on sale, when doing regular shopping. This doesn't put a strain on regular budget and builds stocks.
Rotate stocks everytime new stock is added.
Prepare meals from stocks.

MREs and other "food packs", we do not buy, do not eat, do not want. To each their own, but we don't eat them on a regular basis, so a BIG NO, for us.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep what you NORMALLY eat
Keep stocks rotated

We stock up whatever is on sale, when doing regular shopping. This doesn't put a strain on regular budget and builds stocks.
Rotate stocks everytime new stock is added.
Prepare meals from stocks.

MREs and other "food packs", we do not buy, do not eat, do not want. To each their own, but we don't eat them on a regular basis, so a BIG NO, for us.
Same. We do have a few "survival" meals but mostly only things we eat on a regular basis.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What I have in the kitchen pantry are doubles of what we use regularly ie mayo, mustard, various oils, etc… and 5-10 cans of meats ie beef, chicken and tuna (we really like tuna) and these are kept and continuously rotated. Just in the pantry and freezer would likely last us 4-6 weeks which would see us through any natural disaster (my goal in “prepping”). In the basement, yes I actually have a basement in Oklahoma, there is the freeze dried stuff plus flour, sugar and salt that would keep us going for much longer. I also keep 5 cases of MREs that are at this point for handing out to other folks in need. FYI on MREs I’ve found it’s the main meal that gets a little off over time and can be replaced for much less than the cost of a new MRE. Also I should note that when I started getting prepared to see myself and family through a disaster it was after seeing the horrible response from FEMA after Katrina. After witnessing that it became clear we could be on our own for a good while. Now my family has shrunk and I traded earthquakes in for tornados.

Last edited:

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"We used to be way more into prepping. But after 15+ yrs of SHTF not actually happening, we’ve scaled it back a bit lol. "

My daughter told me last night that folks in North Carolina were thankin Jesus for canned food and some backwoods education in their upbringing. I told her, this can get worse with the sorry leadership we have. Keep being smart, stay armed & vigilant and update your stored food & water supply. Teach my 8yr old grandaughter about how folks are having to survive right now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom