God

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meanwhile, nations full of protestants and catholics contributed directly to, if not stood by, while those concentration camps committed some of the worst crimes against humanity.

Personally, I think it's hard to believe that a being whom is supposedly more logical than us, would allow such an imperfect message to exist (the bible among others) and so many of it's followers to constantly contradict his teachings and commit atrocities that they do.

If you had the power to make your child love you, would you do so? Or would you give them free will to decide?

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would hope that isn't entirely the case. All it takes is two or more individuals to rationally discuss their beliefs without getting butthurt or condscending. The OP does not appear to be attempting to lead anyone in to a trap or trolling as many have thought.

HMCS(FMF)Ret,

In response to your questions regarding belief in a loving God that could allow the existance of hell. I am no philosopher nor do I proclaim to be nearly as educated in Biblical aspects as a great number of Christians. All I can provide you with is my personal convictions on this matter. If God is perfect, sinless, and entirely just...anything that is sinful and unholy would not be permissible in His presence. Therefore any man that has not had his sins atoned for, would be considered unholy and cannot be allowed in God's direct presence. The "loving" character of God was shown through Jesus Christ (who I believe was God in the flesh) who bore the penalty for all of mankind's sin. Any man that accepts /professes this would then be made pure and sinless in God's eyes and are permissible in his presence after death. If the creator of all that is in existance did, in-fact, love man enough that he walked on his earth and endured what he did on the cross so that salvation could be freely extended to those who accept...I have a difficult time not considering my God as loving.

As S4F previously mentioned, there is likely nothing that anyone can do or say to convince you of the existance of God. Believers in the God of Christianity (and other religions) have no proof, only their faith. If the examples of Christians (past or present) have led you to form a negative option about the God that we profess, I sincerely apologize. Even looking in the Bible you see an incredibly number of examples of hipocracy and hate within the religious sects. All of which Christ himself despised. Just a small amount of reading in the New Testament will show you that Christianity should be a religion that is exactly the opposite. One where believers love their neighbors as themselves, care for the sick, widowed, orphans, those in prison etc.

I enjoyed reading your insight Coolhandluke. Maybe I'll try to believe in the good, just, and loving God for awhile and see what happens. I still don't think I will ever go to church. To many hypocrites for me.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would hope that isn't entirely the case. All it takes is two or more individuals to rationally discuss their beliefs without getting butthurt or condscending. The OP does not appear to be attempting to lead anyone in to a trap or trolling as many have thought.

My concern is that too often, radicals of any given religion believe that if they deny/exclude/ostracize and otherwise punish sinners that they are doing God's will. Non-believers and those on the fence might be pushed further away from God because they do not want to be part of something so full of hatred.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still don't think I will ever go to church. To many hypocrites for me.

I grew up in a Christian home (but outside of the church) and attended a Christian University (OC). I still struggle to feel comfortable in a church setting. The older I get the more I realize that a large percentage of churches have completely lost their way and their version of Christianity and the Gospel is a far cry away from what I see in reading the New Testament.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you had the power to make your child love you, would you do so? Or would you give them free will to decide?

Those murderous "children" loved their "god" just as you do.

Since you believe that "free will" is the answer to my comment then you believe "god" is omniscience?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I grew up in a Christian home (but outside of the church) and attended a Christian University (OC). I still struggle to feel comfortable in a church setting. The older I get the more I realize that a large percentage of churches have completely lost their way and their version of Christianity and the Gospel is a far cry away from what I see in reading the New Testament.

Your last sentence is very accurate.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still don't think I will ever go to church. To many hypocrites for me.

I understand, but we hang out on sites like this, with folks like us (I'm just as big a hypocrite as anyone else on here).

No, in total honesty, you can't learn much about competition shooting by listening to the local quilt making club. I strongly suggest that you visit a couple of churches and my guess I'd that you will find many folks just like you.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand, but we hang out on sites like this, with folks like us (I'm just as big a hypocrite as anyone else on here).

No, in total honesty, you can't learn much about competition shooting by listening to the local quilt making club. I strongly suggest that you visit a couple of churches and my guess I'd that you will find many folks just like you.

I think churches are more about drinking the Kool-Aid. Too many holier than thou folks. Also, I don't trust them. I'm weird. I can't believe something just because everyone else does. I guess that makes me a rebel. I want to know that the God I believe in is moral and just and loving. Then I look around and see nothing but hate, and that makes me hateful. I see people of religion judging others, and it makes me hate them. I mean REALLY hate them. Then I have to question why I would want to be a part of that. Why would anyone want to be a part of that?

Last edited:

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But you come on here, asking this bunch of nut cases some serious questions.

I have been a member of two churches since 1974,, and have visited many others. With very few exceptions, I have not found the kind of attitudes you have mentioned.

I have met far more OSA members that fit those characteristics, but I have learned some good information from them.

If a person is serious about learning something, the attitudes of the professor and some of the classmates will not get in the way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom