God

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I share your outrage over the persecution of Jews by nominal Christians in the past. My impression is that most Jews today in this country carry that memory and have a strong distrust of Christianity as a result.

Nominal Christians? The leaders? The institutions themselves? Yeah I guess we could see where Jews have some reason to distrust Christianity, and maybe as with other things Christianity has a reason to question itself.

Christian rhetoric and antipathy towards Jews developed in the early years of Christianity and was reinforced by ever increasing anti-Jewish measures over the ensuing centuries.

The Church Fathers identified Jews and Judaism with heresy and declared the people of Israel to be extra Deum (lat. "outside of God"). Saint Peter of Antioch referred to Christians that refused to worship religious images as having "Jewish minds".

All Church Fathers applied the passages of the New Testament concerning the alleged advocation of the crucifixion of Christ to all Jews of his day, the Jews were the ultimate evil. However, John Chrysostom went so far to say that because Jews rejected the Christian God in human flesh, Christ, they therefore deserved to be killed: "grew fit for slaughter." In citing the New Testament,[Luke 19:27] he claimed that Jesus was speaking about Jews when he said, "as for these enemies of mine who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slay them before me."

On 14 July 1555, Pope Paul IV issued papal bull Cum nimis absurdum which revoked all the rights of the Jewish community and placed religious and economic restrictions on Jews in the Papal States, renewed anti-Jewish legislation and subjected Jews to various degradations and restrictions on their personal freedom.
The bull established the Roman Ghetto and required Jews of Rome, which had existed as a community since before Christian times and which numbered about 2,000 at the time, to live in it. The Ghetto was a walled quarter with three gates that were locked at night. Jews were also restricted to one synagogue per city.
Paul IV's successor, Pope Pius IV, enforced the creation of other ghettos in most Italian towns, and his successor, Pope Pius V, recommended them to other bordering states.

Martin Luther at first made overtures towards the Jews, believing that the "evils" of Catholicism had prevented their conversion to Christianity. When his call to convert to his version of Christianity was unsuccessful, he became hostile to them.
In his book On the Jews and their Lies, Luther excoriates them as "venomous beasts, vipers, disgusting scum, canders, devils incarnate." He provided detailed recommendations for a pogrom against them, calling for their permanent oppression and expulsion, writing "Their private houses must be destroyed and devastated, they could be lodged in stables. Let the magistrates burn their synagogues and let whatever escapes be covered with sand and mud. Let them force to work, and if this avails nothing, we will be compelled to expel them like dogs in order not to expose ourselves to incurring divine wrath and eternal damnation from the Jews and their lies." At one point he wrote: "...we are at fault in not slaying them..." a passage that "may be termed the first work of modern antisemitism, and a giant step forward on the road to the Holocaust."[32]
Luther's harsh comments about the Jews are seen by many as a continuation of medieval Christian antisemitism. In his final sermon shortly before his death, however, Luther preached: "We want to treat them with Christian love and to pray for them, so that they might become converted and would receive the Lord."

Throughout the 19th century and into the 20th, the Roman Catholic Church still incorporated strong antisemitic elements, despite increasing attempts to separate anti-Judaism (opposition to the Jewish religion on religious grounds) and racial antisemitism. Pope Pius VII (1800–1823) had the walls of the Jewish ghetto in Rome rebuilt after the Jews were emancipated by Napoleon, and Jews were restricted to the ghetto through the end of the Papal States in 1870. Official Catholic organizations, such as the Jesuits, banned candidates "who are descended from the Jewish race unless it is clear that their father, grandfather, and great-grandfather have belonged to the Catholic Church" until 1946.

On April 26, 1933 Hitler declared during a meeting with Roman Catholic Bishop Wilhelm Berning (de) of Osnabrück:

“I have been attacked because of my handling of the Jewish question. The Catholic Church considered the Jews pestilent for fifteen hundred years, put them in ghettos, etc., because it recognized the Jews for what they were. In the epoch of liberalism the danger was no longer recognized. I am moving back toward the time in which a fifteen-hundred-year-long tradition was implemented. I do not set race over religion, but I recognize the representatives of this race as pestilent for the state and for the Church, and perhaps I am thereby doing Christianity a great service by pushing them out of schools and public functions.”

The transcript of this discussion contains no response by Bishop Berning. Martin Rhonheimer does not consider this unusual since, in his opinion, for a Catholic Bishop in 1933 there was nothing particularly objectionable "in this historically correct reminder".[36]

The Nazis used Martin Luther's book, On the Jews and Their Lies (1543), to claim a moral righteousness for their ideology.

A minority of American churches, such as the Presbyterian Church in America, engage in anti-Israel activism, including support for the controversial BDS movement. While not directly indicative of anti-semitism, this activism often conflates the Israel's treatment of Palestinians with that of Jesus, thereby promoting the anti-semitic doctrine of Jewish guilt.[52] Many Christian Zionists are also accused of anti-semitism, such as John Hagee, who argued that the Jews brought the Holocaust upon themselves by angering God.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_and_antisemitism

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to lessen any of the wrongs you and others have pointed out but one could make a similar argument about Americans. They have done terrible things. "Liberty and Justice for All" ??? Certainly not in light of how Americans massacred and persecuted native peoples. Certainly not in terms of imperialistic actions in the past. How can anyone be proud to be an American? ...I think the core beliefs of "Americanism" are what justify us in our pride - equality of opportunity, the concept of inherent rights as listed in the Bill of Rights, government only with the consent of the governed. These are good core values upon which we focus rather than the terrible injustices of the past.

Some would contend the reluctance to discuss these issues and others, or just consider them "part of the past" is an attempt to lessen them.
I do agree with you one could make similar arguments about America, and there we often see again the same attitudes, either it didn't happen or doesn't matter because it's in the past. And we certainly don't want to discuss if they still occur.

The core beliefs of Americanism justify our pride, is pride Christian or Biblical? And do those core beliefs really exist and operate as we would wish to believe?

We hear the same argument with many issues, ignore them and just focus on the good, but if we do that will the bad go away or is it likely to get worse? If we follow this line of reason and action are we then not at fault for the results?

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Edit: deleting my comment

Repeating to myself: "I will not comment in this thread, I will not comment in this thread, I will not comment in this thread, I will not comment in this thread, I will not comment in this thread"

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question for the christians on this board.

Who created the creator? Or how did "god" become into existence? There really is no proof that he is everlasting as the bible says, so let's overcome that man made hurdle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom