Help me Build my 300 Blackout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ok, I have never built an AR before, just bought a lower and so here goes. My plan is to do it as cheap as possible but with parts that are decent, but as inexpensive as possible. My thoughts are that a rifle would be cheaper than a pistol, mainly considering the cost of the Sig brace, but correct me if I am wrong. I like Magpul furniture, and am thinking of going all FDE to keep it simple to differentiate between this one and my 556. I want to start it off with iron sights and want a dependable set of those. But definitely plan to put a 1-4 power scope on it eventually. Any and all suggestions would be great. Links to places to buy parts or your suggestions for decent triggers worth spending a hair more for etc are great! Thanks

nic6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The pistol vs rifle cost wise would probably work out about the same. Example Noveske 1-7 twist 10.2" $336 vs same barrel but 16" is $450 (don't see it at rogtac but rainier arms has them). And a shorter handguard/rail saves some also, I really like the Fortis Rev Rail this is the 9" $180 vs $200 for the 12". I am also a big fan of Geissele triggers. Depending on what type you perfer, single or 2 stage, flat or curved bow trigger? Hopefully that helps a little.

Last edited:

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The pistol vs rifle cost wise would probably work out about the same. Example Noveske 1-7 twist 10.2" $336 vs same barrel but 16" is $450 (don't see it at rogtac but rainier arms has them). And a shorter handguard/rail savessome also, I really like the Fortis Rev Rail this is the 9" $180 vs $200 for the 12". I am also a big fan of Geissele triggers. Depending on what type you perfer, single or 2 stage, flat or curved bow trigger? Hopefully that helps a little.
I guess this brings up one of my first questions, I know Noveske is high end, but in a 200 yard gun what am I getting extra for basically twice what a CMMG barrel costs? I can get a CMMG barrel for about $180

nic6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is the $140 dollar question that I wish I could answer (I used that figure bc there are 5% off codes for rogtac). When I did mine the CMMG was pretty new and had no reviews. I called Noveske and spoke with them about the 300 AAC, twist rates, lengths, etc. I can't remember the guy's name I spoke to but he was very knowledgeable and it just made me feel confident in my purchase. I am also one of the buy once cry one types.

This is your first time putting together your AR, I always suggest to do it how YOU want it the first time. Unless you want to join with the rest of us who keep switching stuff until you have enough parts to piece together another, then another, then another. It's a vicious cycle.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is your first time putting together your AR, I always suggest to do it how YOU want it the first time. Unless you want to join with the rest of us who keep switching stuff until you have enough parts to piece together another, then another, then another. It's a vicious cycle.

Well this is also part of the plan. The wife like ARs and is ok with me building them and swapping stuff around. Plus she knows I can't live without at least one "project" in the works.

nic6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well this is also part of the plan. The wife like ARs and is ok with me building them and swapping stuff around. Plus she knows I can't live without at least one "project" in the works.

Your wife sounds about like mine. Not sure where you were looking to buy your stuff but Brownells had some coupon codes that were supposed to expire last night at midnight. I just checked and they still work, not sure for how long though.
$50 off $300 J2A
$25 off $150 K2A
$15 off $100 L2A

Latest posts

Top Bottom