Hurricane Milton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We lived on the coast, south of Houston, for 25 years. Evacuated twice, stayed for 4 hurricanes and 2 tropical storms.

The tropical storms were the worst, heavy flooding.
2 hurricanes, we were using a generator for a week. 1we were without power 3 days, I bought a generator soon after.

The 2 evacuated, traffic was jammed for miles. Was sitting on the highway, 6 miles from town, waiting on a traffic light in town. Luckily, I had 4WD and knew the backrooms. 1000s ran out of gas sitting on the highways. Insanity. One storm, we lost a lot shingles and lightning hit A/C.
The 2nd was anti-climatic, but we evacced to Austin and 7 tornadoes.

To leave or not has many factors to consider.

Bixby Sooner53

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it just me or has the weather reporting become drama reporting, like the 24 hrs. news channels? When I was young we had weeks of temps over 100 and was simply told to be careful outside, it was going to be a scorcher out there (of course we also drank out of a hose too, so...).

Now we get weather advisories for temps that don't reach 100. They have also started naming seasonal storms like they do hurricanes, whether they occur in the spring, summer, fall or winter. I've seen comparison of weather broadcasts where even the colors used for various temps are different make them appear hotter (more and deeper shades of red) and more intense, than even 10-15 years ago.

All this to say, that for all the predictions of the strength of this storm, it was bad no doubt, but nothing like what TWC and other weather reporters were predicting. At least I didn't see anyone sitting in a canoe talking about the amount of rain the area got, while people walked by in the background in calf deep water this time.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it just me or has the weather reporting become drama reporting, like the 24 hrs. news channels?

Not just the weather goobers. Except for a couple reporters who are still holding out doing their job, all the people working in news media are dropouts off sophomore drama class. A good piece of them are comical they’re so bad.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sister lives right on Tampa bay in Gulfport just a few blocks from the water. Flew out on Sunday before it hit to be safe. Confirmed yesterday they were lucky as no house damage for her or neighbors and not even any flooding. I suppose a tract a few miles north of where in landed could have been different for her.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sister lives right on Tampa bay in Gulfport just a few blocks from the water. Flew out on Sunday before it hit to be safe. Confirmed yesterday they were lucky as no house damage for her or neighbors and not even any flooding. I suppose a tract a few miles north of where in landed could have been different for her.
FYI, if they are close to a river or a canal close to a river, flooding is now occurring. Bad flooding.

Latest posts

Top Bottom