I apologize to that Guy in Tyler TX Sunday...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a panhandler walk up to me and say "I'm broke. Lazy. Worthless. And want some beer. Can you buy me a 6-pack of the cheapest beer?" How could I resist such honesty? So, I went into the gas station and bought him a 6 pack of Bud light and sat out on the curb with him and we split the beers. Told me about how he'd quit college cuz he couldn't cut it. Wanted to join the air force but was waiting on his MEPS appointment. Said his dad was gonna kick him out if he didn't get a job soon. We chatted for a bit, I wished him luck, said a little prayer for him and left him there with another 6-pack and pretzels.

I seen him at the same gas station about 3 months later and he remembered me. Told me he'd gotten accepted into the air force and was scheduled to go to basic in under a week. He thanked me for the beer and the talk that night. Said he really needed it and it helped get his mind right. I wish the best for that guy.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I am a heartless bastard, I don't give to beggars, and I resent the fact that they beg.

I am very charitable, I give to many groups and organizations directly to help those in need, those that park on their lazy butts on a street corner aren't in need IMO.

And the one legged guy on 41st that wears shorts on cold days really ticks me off as he is certainly playing on his handicap.

TheSanDiegoKid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a lawn mower from home depot, guy came out of nowhere and asked if I needed a hand loading it in the car, he looked decent like he was just there shopping. I told him I think I got it but he still came over anyways. He helped me throw it in the car then tells me a story of how he needs $10 for gas and he's been walking for an hour trying to get some money for gas. Crap. Now I get it, he only helped me because he wanted money. I gave him five bucks.

I have no issues with giving someone money if they just ask for it. I don't need a story about how your wife's sisters best friends daughter is giving birth and you need gas money to get to the hospital because your her Lamaze partner.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've kind of moved around a little on this subject.
These days I buy a panhandler a happy meal before giving him money.
The cab ride I might have offered to pay the cabbie.

All this dependent on how my gut felt of course.

Basically my take as well. i won't give them money for something because then I lose all control of how it will actually be spent. However, I am more than happy to buy whatever it is they might need. Even straight up offered to drive a guy from Yukon to Norman because he said that's where his Dad was who had a stroke....at which point the guy took off. But I rarely, if ever, give anyone straight cash. If they say they need something, will usually offer to buy it for them myself.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
LAst time I had one of those hit me up was about 5 years ago at the Red lobster in Tulsa. My wife and I had rode up on the Harley and were waitng on a group of our friends. The guy had made his pitch, an I had tried a polite brush off. He was getting a little insitent and I was transitioning to condition red while keeping myself between him and the wife. I don't know if it would have escelated or not but at that time the group of 9 hairy, leather clad Harley riders we were meeting pulled in and rode up to us. He walked away at a pretty good pace.

Captain Mike

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry a couple of MRE's in the car. When they ask for food or money just hand them a brown bag special and wish them the best.

There truly are people who are down on their luck, but how can you tell if they are legit?

Latest posts

Top Bottom