Incredibly Hot Today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might try a portable mister for the chickens and Dawg. We got an Orbit brand portable misting stand from Lowes. Ran a hose to it and placed it a spot shaded by some trees. Put the mister/hose connection over a storage box lid to catch any leaks. Our girls stand in the mist about all day long and wade in the water-filled lid.

View attachment 403453

How well do those work when it‘s already danged humid out?

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have somewhere between 2 and 3 acres that need to be mowed with the rider. It's about a 2 hour job and I got that done late this morning just before we hit the 100° mark. Fortunately a lot of that area is in the trees so there's a little shade.

I swap out the water for the goats and birds a couple times a day when it's hot like this. I don't know if they really care but it makes me feel better.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Nah dude, it was brutal. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

And I'm not talking about the heat.

I dunno how many here have ever had a kid (or grandkid) in competitive swim, but you sit there all gotdamn day until it's his or her time, then it lasts about 30-45 seconds. Then, you wait around for another hour or so, until their next event, which, again, lasts for about 30-45 seconds. He usually has 3 or 4 events total.

We were there from about 10am (it started at 9) and left about 1:30/2 o'clock. Frying in the sun. They are usually held indoors, but the Shawnee YMCA was hit hard by the tornado this past spring.
Oh yeah. I know all about kids in swim meets. My three youngest daughters were swimmers. I spent a lot of time at that YMCA with practice and swim meets.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might try a portable mister for the chickens and Dawg. We got an Orbit brand portable misting stand from Lowes. Ran a hose to it and placed it a spot shaded by some trees. Put the mister/hose connection over a storage box lid to catch any leaks. Our girls stand in the mist about all day long and wade in the water-filled lid.

View attachment 403453
When we were working, the dogs had to go to the pen during the day no matter what the temps were.
We zip tied one of those misters to the chain link fence and left it on during the day. Coming home, both would be laying on the damp concrete in the mist.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Air movement will help the birds more than anything as far as dealing with the heat, if you will notice that on hot windy days they dont stand around as much with their wings out as they do on hot days with no wind. Their feathers will capture any air moving to help cool down. And plenty of shade.

Yeah I went ahead and set a box fan out there. They have a huge bush that gives them good deep shade. And that bush is shaded by "THE tree" ... If we'd get a breeze everybody would be a lot better off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom