Is OK a stop and ID state?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn’t watch the video yet. I don’t think OK is a stop and ID state, but if pulled over a traffic infraction and the LE wants passengers info, they are technically required to provide it.

Stop and ID means they can't just walk up and ask you to identify yourself without a reason, a traffic stop is a reason .

OneMoreEvan

This is bowling, there are rules. MARK IT ZERO
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Somewhat related, I remember a few years ago I was home on leave and I was leaving a bar (Not stumbling, I had 2 beers over 3 hours) and I was walking toward my Uber. I stepped off the curb and it was a little further down than I was expecting so i tripped a little. Next thing I know, I have a bright light in my face (so bright i couldn't see anything) and i hear "Hey why don't you come here and talk to me real quick?" Well i thought it might be one of the bouncers or just some @$$hole with a flashlight so i said "Hey why don't you fugg off real quick?" I guess i hurt the cops feelings because he starts demanding my ID and when i said "Dude i'm literally walking toward my uber, what is your problem?" he decided that i must be intoxicated and took me to jail for "Drunk and disorderly conduct" and "Refusal to identify". All charges ended up getting dismissed because not only did the cop not do a field sobriety test, but he also didn't give me a breathalyzer test, and the jailers didn't do any test either.

user 51785

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Didn’t watch the video yet. I don’t think OK is a stop and ID state, but if pulled over a traffic infraction and the LE wants passengers info, they are technically required to provide it.
unless things have changed that i dont know about the only person being detained on a simple traffic stop is the driver which means passengers cant be forced to give their id's. now if the cops see drugs or there is something else illegal besides a traffic stop thats different then they can make everybody give their id's. i didnt watch the hole video but from what i saw this trooper was way out of line. i dont know if they did cause i didnt watch all the video but they should file a complaint with his supervisors and ia. pretty darn sure they would win and this trooper would be in a heap of trouble. i really hate to see stuff like this cause most cops are good people and its jerks like this guy who make them all look bad.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stop and ID means they can't just walk up and ask you to identify yourself without a reason, a traffic stop is a reason .

Thanks for the education, but I know what “stop and ID” means. Now, I have watched the video. I’d be interested to hear what @THAT Gurl and her Grumpy have to say about the video.
The Trooper never gave what is “reasonable, articulable suspicion” of their crime was that I heard. Could have been edited out.
The trooper should have just walked away with a have a nice day, once he learned that they were deer watching.
However, the “dude” should not have four it out on the “roadside” either. Let the LE do what they are going to do, and if they’re wrong, let the courts handle it.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The trooper looks like he saw a car with a MJ leaf on the back of it. I think he’d stop and see if they were smoking weed by asking for their ID’s, the officer was in a pickle when they didn’t comply IMOA d asked what they did wrong.

Herrs the replys he gave them.

-Vulgar language on the back of the car, that’s not even close a ***** is a female dog and she claimed the title.

- People usually are making out? What no kissing? Maybe beaver watching is.😊

- Illegal car seat, that’s a better excuse than the two above.

They apparently are in a parking lot that’s used for watching animals and they were doing just that

Looks like the officer made a mistake.

I believe a better approach since it didn’t look like they were in a established parking space initially he could have drove up and ask if they were ok and maybe got out and say I have to stretch my legs. They more than likely stoped there as not to spook the deer so their daughter could see.

I like the way many game wardens work, I’ve had them come in ask if me and my kids we’re having any luck and start a chitchat, stay 5 minutes and leave without identifying themselves.

Why? It was the 2nd best dove hunt I’ve ever been on and the kids first.
I wasn't shooting when they were and I told them don’t shoot unless they are right over your head, I could have had my limit in under a half hour. Would have been nice to have helped them with their limit a little😊

Anyway taking out the pissed drama that’s my guess.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
unless things have changed that i dont know about the only person being detained on a simple traffic stop is the driver which means passengers cant be forced to give their id's. now if the cops see drugs or there is something else illegal besides a traffic stop thats different then they can make everybody give their id's. i didnt watch the hole video but from what i saw this trooper was way out of line. i dont know if they did cause i didnt watch all the video but they should file a complaint with his supervisors and ia. pretty darn sure they would win and this trooper would be in a heap of trouble. i really hate to see stuff like this cause most cops are good people and its jerks like this guy who make them all look bad.
The training should really be emphasized that they are acting as an "agent of the state" and it means that they should adjust their behavior verses their personal feelings. You don't fart out loud in work meetings, you don't get physical with a man who verbally disrespects you either. The expectation when representing authority should be VERY high.

As for your point, NO, the OHP sided with the trooper even though he clearly changed his mind when his feelings were hurt. He then used the bumper sticker cuss word as a bogus reason.
Thanks for the education, but I know what “stop and ID” means. Now, I have watched the video. I’d be interested to hear what @THAT Gurl and her Grumpy have to say about the video.
The Trooper never gave what is “reasonable, articulable suspicion” of their crime was that I heard. Could have been edited out.
The trooper should have just walked away with a have a nice day, once he learned that they were deer watching.
However, the “dude” should not have four it out on the “roadside” either. Let the LE do what they are going to do, and if they’re wrong, let the courts handle it.
I agree...but there are much worse cases where people came across cops so out of line they would not get their day in court...some have raped women in their homes while responding to domestic disputes, etc. And these there is this:

https://theweek.com/articles/474702/indiana-law-that-lets-citizens-shoot-cops
This case obviously did not rise to the level where the guy shouldn't have just complied for the good of his family, so for any LEO's here, I know you have a tough job and the guy was also an a-hole. I just want the law whatever it is to be followed.

Last edited:

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Conflicting info here. According to OK law, a passenger is part of the investigative detention and can be ID’d: What to Do and Expect When Stopped by Law Enforcement

However, according to the USSC and the 9th Federal Circuit, passengers don’t have to provide ID via Hiibel V Nevada and clarified again in US V Landeros: 9th Circuit: Passengers in a car don’t have to identify themselves – Papers, Please!

I’d say, I guess it depends on the OK officer and the mood he’s in wether you’re going to get let go or take the perp walk of shame.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Conflicting info here. According to OK law, a passenger is part of the investigative detention and can be ID’d: What to Do and Expect When Stopped by Law Enforcement

However, according to the USSC and the 9th Federal Circuit, passengers don’t have to provide ID via Hiibel V Nevada and clarified again in US V Landeros: 9th Circuit: Passengers in a car don’t have to identify themselves – Papers, Please!

I’d say, I guess it depends on the OK officer and the mood he’s in wether you’re going to get let go or take the perp walk of shame.
"It depends"...sounds familiar with all the ATF ambiguity too...I think it is intentional so they can do what they want.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, and just think, pick your battles.

Just don't argue on the side of the road with law enforcement. Will not go well for you right then and there.

Just be polite and cooperate. Some battles you are a moronic foolish schmuck to fight.

You can later, if you wish, lawyer up and go see the Judge. That's the place and time for it.

I really feel badly for the child. That's awful. And that includes Dads language in front of his kid.

Or the police can just obey the law and constitution they took a oath to uphold, and not get all feels hurt when someone disagrees with them.

While the guy should have remained calm, the trooper was out of line IMO as well. Basicly when two idiots collide.

Latest posts

Top Bottom