Johnson grass - food plot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was able to search for Johnson grass in some old threads and have come to the conclusion that it’s a pain in the butt to get rid off.

Was wanting to make a few small food plots this year on the lease that is heavily wooded but does have a few half acre open areas that are covered in Johnson grass.

I understand I could be wasting my time if nothing grows but would at least like to try.

Would you guys recommend I spray it and then wait a few weeks before seeding or maybe seed it and weedeat it and let the grass work as a cover.

I don’t have access to a tractor or anything. Just basic yard stuff, backpack sprayer etc.

Any suggestions would be great as after reading last night it appears it takes years to get rid of the grass and the seeds usually.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not the expert by any stretch but here's my suggestion. It may be tough without access to a tractor as I think ideally you'd need to spray glyphosate(Round Up) on the entire plot then wait 2 weeks and disc it all under. Then, I'd try to rake out as much of the Johnson grass as possible. In another 2 weeks, spray it again on any new growth. This 'should' kill all of the Johnson grass....for now and should be able to broadcast seed like clover.

Bigger problem will likely be controlling it since the seed can come from a long ways away. If you can get it killed off initially, I'd switch to Clethodim which will kill the grass but not the clover. Using the grass as a cover might not be a good thing as it would likely choke out the clover or whatever you choose to plant.

What part of the state is your land? Do you plan on renting any equipment or going at it with your basic yard stuff?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You won't get rid of it. I have or have access to all the farm and spray equipment of all sizes a guy could dream of, and we can't get rid of it. If you can get a tractor into those locations, rent one and mow it to the ground, give it a few days and burn off the cut grass. Or I don't mind loaning you a tractor and brush hog or sprayer if you need it and you're not on the other side if the state. If you can get the majority of it out of the way at the end if the summer, you can always plant fall/winter plots because the Johnson grass will always be dormant during those times. Spring and summer plots will always be overgrown with Johnson grass though and futile.

How tall is it now?

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven’t been out there yet since last winter.

Parts of it were maybe a 1’ and other parts up to 2-2.5’ which I probably won’t mess with.

The landowner specified no fires in the lease agreement as the land has tons of cedar trees on it located in Logan county.

My nephew just said he would bring his tractor out there and see what we could do with the grass and hopefully plant some stuff.

I’m still reading about this grass and trying to do all I can to get some food plots this fall.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will suggest you spray with Roundup initially, but understand the Johnson grass has already pretty much gone to seed so the spray will just kill the current grass.. I have 2 thoughts 1)Spray with Roundup and then plant an annual plot because you will need to respray in the late Spring to really try to kill the Johnson grass when it comes on.
2) Spray with RoundUp to kill the current Johnson grass and then plant some perenials and spray with Chlethodim to try and knock the Johnson back. The more I think about it I recommend option 1 for 2 years to get the Johnson grass under control.

Latest posts

Top Bottom