Law covering carrying guns openly in place of business

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or possess any weapon designated in Section 1272 of this title in any establishment where low-point beer, as defined by Section 163.2 of Title 37 of the Oklahoma Statutes, or alcoholic beverages, as defined by Section 506 of Title 37 of the Oklahoma Statutes, are consumed.

Operative word is consumed. Alcoholic beverages are not consumed at the liquor store. the quoted law applies to bars and food establishments that sell alcolhol on the premises for consumption. re: food establishments - it only applies to those that get more than half their sales/revenues from the sale of alcohol.

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way I understand it as, is that as long as it is not a bar or a place that alcohol is served, and you are the business owner or manager, you are allowed to open carry, because you need to protect yourself and your employees

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am none of the above and I open carried the whole time I worked at H&H.

On another note, my dad had a veterinary business and had firearms all over the place (some out in the open, some not). He was none of the above either. In fact, I don't believe he ever even a CC license. Hunting license yes, conceal carry no.

He believed that if you came onto his property looking for money or drugs then hunting season was open, laws on the books be damned. (Yeah, I know, apple didn't fall far from that tree, huh? ;))

i do all the above and have for years...and will continue to...you see gun shop owners and employees doing it all around...this is a "law" that wont be enforced cause they know it would be a tough one to get done...i guess all us are still considered "criminals":pms2: for doing it, but hey its your property...and its our *ss put on the spot if or when we have a person try to shoot us to get what they want on our property...

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Operative word is consumed. Alcoholic beverages are not consumed at the liquor store. the quoted law applies to bars and food establishments that sell alcolhol on the premises for consumption. re: food establishments - it only applies to those that get more than half their sales/revenues from the sale of alcohol.

It's actually whether or not the sale of alcolhol is the primary purpose of the establishment.

TITLE 21 § 1272.1. Carrying firearms where liquor is consumed
CARRYING FIREARMS WHERE LIQUOR IS CONSUMED
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or possess any weapon designated in Section 1272 of this title in any establishment where low-point beer, as defined by Section 163.2 of Title 37 of the Oklahoma Statutes, or alcoholic beverages, as defined by Section 506 of Title 37 of the Oklahoma Statutes, are consumed. This provision shall not apply to a peace officer, as defined in Section 99 of this title, or to private investigators with a firearms authorization when acting in the scope and course of employment, and shall not apply to an owner or proprietor of the establishment having a pistol, rifle, or shotgun on the premises. Provided however, a person possessing a valid concealed handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Section 1290.1 et seq. of this title may carry the concealed handgun into any restaurant or other establishment licensed to dispense low-point beer or alcoholic beverages where the sale of low-point beer or alcoholic beverages does not constitute the primary purpose of the business

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's actually whether or not the sale of alcolhol is the primary purpose of the establishment.

TITLE 21 § 1272.1. Carrying firearms where liquor is consumed
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or possess any weapon designated in Section 1272 of this title in any establishment where low-point beer, as defined by Section 163.2 of Title 37 of the Oklahoma Statutes, or alcoholic beverages, as defined by Section 506 of Title 37 of the Oklahoma Statutes, are consumed. This provision shall not apply to a peace officer, as defined in Section 99 of this title, or to private investigators with a firearms authorization when acting in the scope and course of employment, and shall not apply to an owner or proprietor of the establishment having a pistol, rifle, or shotgun on the premises. Provided however, a person possessing a valid concealed handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Section 1290.1 et seq. of this title may carry the concealed handgun into any restaurant or other establishment licensed to dispense low-point beer or alcoholic beverages where the sale of low-point beer or alcoholic beverages does not constitute the primary purpose of the business

Sorry but you are misreading the law.

It is legal to carry in a liquor store since no alcohol is consumed there.

See the title of the statute: Carrying firearms where liquor is consumed

The portion of the statute you highlight cannot be read as if it stands alone from the rest of the statute. The higlighted portion applies to restaurants and other establishment and states you can carry in them as long as alcohol isn't the primary purpose of their business - i.e. restaurants that have a bar to amuse the customers while they wait to be seated.

The intent as well as the letter of the statute is fairly clear if read as a whole.

But don't take my word for it ask an attorney - the attorney who taught the CCW class I took made it clear to us.

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am none of the above and I open carried the whole time I worked at H&H.

On another note, my dad had a veterinary business and had firearms all over the place (some out in the open, some not). He was none of the above either. In fact, I don't believe he ever even a CC license. Hunting license yes, conceal carry no.

He believed that if you came onto his property looking for money or drugs then hunting season was open, laws on the books be damned. (Yeah, I know, apple didn't fall far from that tree, huh? ;))

I believe a "welfare check" is in order. If it's OK for the police to pull me over for no reason at all, I think the police should enforce the law by making random checks of employees open carrying at businesses.

logic25513

New to the site!
Reaction score
:owned3:?

It's true many businessmen wants to have their own rights to carry guns, in their work place. As a matter of fact, many law breakers roaming around and carrying fire arms. It's bad if they caught, but for the businessmen, they must have for protecting their employee, family and of course their life.

It should have, or i mean the amendment will pursue on law covering carrying guns.:wave:

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not.

Argue that with the LEO's on this forum. Go back and read the post about Roadking Larry getting pulled over in Chelsea/Foyil....as the police members on here all cite it is perfectly legal for them to pull you over for a "welfare check" as they call it. Or, as one other member stated, "if I follow you long enough, you will eventually break a law, or, I will notice one of the 10 LED lights in your 3rd brake light cluster burned out" given me reason to pull you over.

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100444

Latest posts

Top Bottom