Law covering carrying guns openly in place of business

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So far so long as something isn't specifically prohibited it is allowed.

Based on the law I did not believe that to be the case. Is there a wildcard "anything goes" clause I am missing?

Title 21 Section 1289.6
A. A person shall be permitted to carry loaded and unloaded shotguns, rifles and pistols, open and not concealed and without a handgun license as authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 25 of this act, pursuant to the following [enumerated] conditions:

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If an act is not prohibited by law it is legal.

That logic only works when the law is written in an exclusive manner.

Phrases such as "pursuant to the following conditions" make the law an inclusive law, meaning that anything not on that list of conditions is illegal.

Therefore, in some cases, if an act is not explicitly allowed by law, it is illegal.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe a "welfare check" is in order. If it's OK for the police to pull me over for no reason at all, I think the police should enforce the law by making random checks of employees open carrying at businesses.

:sunbath: How in the world did I miss this??!?!?!?

Hey ... any JBT out there that wants to do a welfare check on me is more than welcome to do so ... I am telling you guys you haven't been rubbed until you've been rubbed by a JBT ... :teehee::spitlaugh

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I must have lived under a rock for the last few years.

WTF is a welfare check re: cops? :anyone:

If an officer has reason to suspect that a citizen needs help he can do a "welfare check". Like if you are on pulled over on the side of the road. There might not be anything obviously wrong and you are not breaking any laws, but an officer will stop and check on you anyway. Same thing applies to moving vehicles or pedestrians ... if the officer can articulate their reason for concern they can make contact.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If an officer has reason to suspect that a citizen needs help he can do a "welfare check". Like if you are on pulled over on the side of the road. There might not be anything obviously wrong and you are not breaking any laws, but an officer will stop and check on you anyway. Same thing applies to moving vehicles or pedestrians ... if the officer can articulate their reason for concern they can make contact.

Yep, and that one time that you actually need their help, they are NEVER around.

I have had welfare checks when I'm on the side of the road for something pretty quick when I absolutely needed no help. When I needed some help (such as having already used a spare tire and having another cut down tire and being without a cell phone), average time to seeing an officer has been close to two hours. I'm sure its all coincidence.

Of course, the lone exception is that Minco cop that I still want to thank sometime for letting me use his Leatherman to remove part of a front bumper, but I neglected to get his name.

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:sunbath: How in the world did I miss this??!?!?!?

Hey ... any JBT out there that wants to do a welfare check on me is more than welcome to do so ... I am telling you guys you haven't been rubbed until you've been rubbed by a JBT ... :teehee::spitlaugh

Well, you've read the laws, and they have been discussed on this forum in detail. It is my understanding that to legally open carry in a place of business you must be the owner and you must reside at the facility. Do you agree with this? If so, then you are breaking the law.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, you've read the laws, and they have been discussed on this forum in detail. It is my understanding that to legally open carry in a place of business you must be the owner and you must reside at the facility. Do you agree with this? If so, then you are breaking the law.

As a matter of fact, I do agree with this ... (BTW, you know it is very very dangerous here to express an opinion ... :bigeye: Just saying, we might need to watch our 6s ... :smack:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom