Let's Build the Perfect yet affordable Long Range Rifle!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badger308

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thread about "Post some pics of your long range rifles" inspired me. Me an a buddy have been talking about building some long range rifles. Even if we never do it we have dreamed about it done so much research and talked about it so much that the memories of shooting it will still be ours forever! HA! So first of all I'm a realist. I'm probably not going to Afghanistan Terrorist Hunting so I'm not talking .338 Lapua or .50 Cal. It's either .308 or .300 win mag period, again being a realist this could actually get built if it's not a $37,000 rifle so cost is in fact a consideration. So what do you think? Do we start with a Remington 700 and build up from there or spend a little more up front hoping you don't have to do as much customization and start with a Kimber, Sako, Weatherby etc? I am not opposed to the AR-10 platform in .308 if anybody want's to persuade me in that directions. So What do you think?

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am partial to Remington 700's. You have several actions available to start with. Get a good quality barrel in the chambering you prefer. Aftermarket items like triggers, bases, stocks, etc. are plentiful at varying levels of quality, so you can figure out your budget and where your priorities are.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The thread about "Post some pics of your long range rifles" inspired me. Me an a buddy have been talking about building some long range rifles. Even if we never do it we have dreamed about it done so much research and talked about it so much that the memories of shooting it will still be ours forever! HA! So first of all I'm a realist. I'm probably not going to Afghanistan Terrorist Hunting so I'm not talking .338 Lapua or .50 Cal. It's either .308 or .300 win mag period, again being a realist this could actually get built if it's not a $37,000 rifle so cost is in fact a consideration. So what do you think? Do we start with a Remington 700 and build up from there or spend a little more up front hoping you don't have to do as much customization and start with a Kimber, Sako, Weatherby etc? I am not opposed to the AR-10 platform in .308 if anybody want's to persuade me in that directions. So What do you think?

How many rifles is "some long range rifles" - how far are you needing to stretch your budget?

What IS your budget, since cost is a consideration?

you said you're not hunting terrorists, are you hunting anything? just punching paper?

What distance are you wanting to shoot at? 100 yards? 1,000 yards? farther?

Having a purpose for the rifle is a good place to start. what's it's purpose?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably better off with one the 6.5 caliber offerings. BC is hands down better than .308 offerings. Less punishment on shooter than a .300 Win mag. If you aren't hunting big game with it, no need for .300 Win mag.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably better off with one the 6.5 caliber offerings. BC is hands down better than .308 offerings. Less punishment on shooter than a .300 Win mag. If you aren't hunting big game with it, no need for .300 Win mag.

+1...

And while I agree on the 700 platform (being cheap, plentiful, and the 10-22 of bolt guns) there are several other actions available out there turn-key for distance precision... they may cost more up front, but they could pay off in sweat equity/smith charges in the end. (Surgeon, GAP, Stiller, HS, etc)

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I was building a long range rifle on the cheep and didn't care about aftermarket parts/cool factor, basically a long range beater I would go Savage with aftermarket drop in barrel in 6.5 creed and B&C stock. You can do all the work yourself.

If money was no object I would go Badger or Deviant action, 24/26" Bartlein medium palma barrel in 6.5 creed, AICS or Manners stock. Then send it off to either Long Rifles Inc., Crescent Customs, Short Action Customs, or Beanland. I've already got a GAP.

Last edited:

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I was building a long range rifle on the cheep and didn't care about aftermarket parts/cool factor, basically a long range beater I would go Savage with aftermarket drop in barrel in 6.5 creed and B&C stock. You can do all the work yourself.

If money was no object I would go Badger or Deviant action, 24/26" Bartlein medium palma barrel in 6.5 creed, AICS or Manners stock. Then send it off to either Long Rifles Inc., Crescent Customs, Short Action Customs, or Beanland. I've already got a GAP.

This except I'm really fond of the 6.5-06 Budget rifle (>1200 bucks with glass) built on a savage. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422648798.213774.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1422648822.221016.jpg

If I was going to pay for a gap it would be a 6.5 saum. If I wanted to buy a stock rifle it would be a savage longrange hunter in 6.5 creedmoor. Or a nosler patriot in 26 nosler. I love ultra high velocity cartridges and the cred while fast isn't fast enough for what I prefer. I don't need more speed than it offers just like to have it. I already have a true long range killer In my kimber .300 win mag and sendero in the same. My 7stw's (have three) are the best all around rifles I own though. If I could only have one rifle it would be one of those.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Badger308

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
How many rifles is "some long range rifles" - how far are you needing to stretch your budget?

What IS your budget, since cost is a consideration?

you said you're not hunting terrorists, are you hunting anything? just punching paper?

What distance are you wanting to shoot at? 100 yards? 1,000 yards? farther?

Having a purpose for the rifle is a good place to start. what's it's purpose?

It's would be hard to say that I have actually Budgeted anything for the project, since I need this like I need another whole in my head. But I happen to have Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag, that I never, ever shoot or hunt with and I just acquired a Tikka lite in 30-06, So I feel like I have some redundancy in the arsenal. So it just got me to thinking and of course going to watch American Sniper didn't help!!! So I can sell the Remington 700 and buy something else or I can start with that as my action and go from there, So would I hunt with it, absolutely. 1000 yards would be sufficient, for me to call it a long range rifle and the "Some Long Range Rifles" refers to my buddy who also likes the idea of building a serious long range shooter. Realistically, I have no idea what this is going to cost yet to say what the budget is and if I will do it just depends. If I use my 700 do I have to get another stock, Can I just buy an aftermarket barrel and slap it on and shoot it or do I have to send it off and get bolt faces lapped, and widgets sanded and trigger guards engraved and a thousand other things I don't even know about that cost's an extra two grand on top of parts?

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The Rem700 platform is a good platform. Depending on which barrel it has on it, you may not need to do anything. Chances are, though, you will want to upgrade to a heavier profile barrel. On the 700 platform, that requires specialized tools and knowhow. If you're going to send the gun off for a re-barrel, might as well get a target crown for the muzzle, get the bolt faced trued and the receiver trued. It will need to be reamed to final dimensions by an experienced smith. Skip the fancy fluting. a medium or heavy palma barrel by Bartlein is all the rage right now. Kreieger's and Benchmark are also popular. Lots of people like the Savage platforms as well, they're easier for the have home-hacker to work on thanks to their barrel nut design. Me? Rem700 is what I shoot. in 300WM - but I hunt with it, not punch paper.

After that, you will have a good receiver and barrel combo. But that larger profile barrel won't fit in the factory stock, it will need a stock with the same profile in the barrel channel as the barrel. Bedding the action in the new stock will increase the rifles potential for being a long distance shooter, so might as well get that done (or do it yourself). a stock with an adjustable cheek piece and butt will allow the shooter to get the perfect LOP.

Then there's the trigger. For the average Joe, the stock trigger is sufficient, but for a long ranger shooter, an aftermarket trigger is recommended. Of course, it needs to be tuned based on your preferences. It needs a light but crisp break.

A one piece scope mount provides the best base for good glass.

Glass: this is where the money is going to be spent all at once. get the best glass you can afford. No cheap Chinese stuff. Leupold, Vortex, The Elite series from Bushnell - all very good scopes. Nikon makes several nice scopes. SWFA's upper end has been making good impressions lately. Stay away from tasco, bsa, bushnell budget series etc.

After all that, you need to be prepared to load ammo yourself to squeeze every last bit of effectiveness out of that (now new) rifle. Some long distance shooting training would be a very good idea too.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This except I'm really fond of the 6.5-06 Budget rifle (>1200 bucks with glass) built on a savage. View attachment 45466View attachment 45467

If I was going to pay for a gap it would be a 6.5 saum. If I wanted to buy a stock rifle it would be a savage longrange hunter in 6.5 creedmoor. Or a nosler patriot in 26 nosler. I love ultra high velocity cartridges and the cred while fast isn't fast enough for what I prefer. I don't need more speed than it offers just like to have it. I already have a true long range killer In my kimber .300 win mag and sendero in the same. My 7stw's (have three) are the best all around rifles I own though. If I could only have one rifle it would be one of those.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

GAP's 6.5saum 4s is all the rage but the brass will kill any budget (if you have someone form it for you) right now unless George can get Lapua to make it. Also finding parent brass now is like finding a needle in a haystack. The 26 Nosler is a barrel burner and I've got a 7wsm that is as well, so I don't need another.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom