Let's Build the Perfect yet affordable Long Range Rifle!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's would be hard to say that I have actually Budgeted anything for the project, since I need this like I need another whole in my head. But I happen to have Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag, that I never, ever shoot or hunt with and I just acquired a Tikka lite in 30-06, So I feel like I have some redundancy in the arsenal. So it just got me to thinking and of course going to watch American Sniper didn't help!!! So I can sell the Remington 700 and buy something else or I can start with that as my action and go from there, So would I hunt with it, absolutely. 1000 yards would be sufficient, for me to call it a long range rifle and the "Some Long Range Rifles" refers to my buddy who also likes the idea of building a serious long range shooter. Realistically, I have no idea what this is going to cost yet to say what the budget is and if I will do it just depends. If I use my 700 do I have to get another stock, Can I just buy an aftermarket barrel and slap it on and shoot it or do I have to send it off and get bolt faces lapped, and widgets sanded and trigger guards engraved and a thousand other things I don't even know about that cost's an extra two grand on top of parts?

If I was going to spend $350 for a match grade barrel I wouldn’t have it chambered, threads cut, crowned, and Cerakoted ($$$ for the smith work) for a stock action. I would also have the action trued and threads recut. I would also choose a different barrel profile other than the stock barrel. This would require a new stock due to barrel channel. You can keep the same bottom metal/trigger but I would rework the trigger to 2-2.5 lbs.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$1500 build:

Savage Hog Hunter 308 - $450
Recoil lug and nut - $50
1.5lb spring - $15
eBay handle - $80
TPS base - $80
XLR chassis - $600
i59.tinypic.com_ac5wub.jpg

$2500 build
Surgeon Action - $1400
Timney Elite - $200
CBI 6.5x47 barrel + nut - $450
XLR chassis - $600
i58.tinypic.com_t82kg6.jpg

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My suggestion for you is go with what you can GET NOW......... You can get AR's in 308 / similar platforms, and prices are getting lower. so why not 'have one' in the closet. You will "always'' be able to buy a Bolt Gun no matter what occurs politically or civily across the US.

Going away from Std cal's like 308 lends to possible high and hard to find ammo buys, plus what are your commrades shooting, worthless being the odd duck............But, the 6.5mm Grendel or 6.5CM? or the .260Rem would be worth considering. My Pref. going to .260 for common finds even tho i have a 6.5L round.

MoBoost gave great examples. Savage guns tend to be pretty solid out of the box shooters.........just not overly fancy or tacticool for some.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great points Wolf44. The 6ish calibers are cool until you have to find or make brass. The 700 is a great platform to start with, though I diasgree with one piece mounts in all cases. Out of the box, go buy a Tikka varmint and replace the crappy factory rings.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have long range AR-10 in 308 from Noveske. I'd recommend it but def a 6.5 of some sort. Those make 30 cal bullets cry at range. Believe you can find AR-10s in 260. I'd go with a bolt gun and you want have to worry about keeping it running. Never had a prob with mine, but some are iffy

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not that good at long range yet and almost got a 338 Lapua , I did some research and even here dustingaunder wrote he had a 338 and never got
it past 1300 yards and plinking steel his 6.5x47 kept up with the lapua so he sold the 338.
Now bucking the wind here is a chore.. either get a faster higher BC bullet or get a heavier one to buck the wind at range.

Even with a long range gun are you capable of using it.

I like the .30 cal stuff and also like the .243 stuff, no idea what I would do so I will stick with my .308 for now until I can shoot/hit reliably in the field at long ranges.

JMSTactical

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thread about "Post some pics of your long range rifles" inspired me. Me an a buddy have been talking about building some long range rifles. Even if we never do it we have dreamed about it done so much research and talked about it so much that the memories of shooting it will still be ours forever! HA! So first of all I'm a realist. I'm probably not going to Afghanistan Terrorist Hunting so I'm not talking .338 Lapua or .50 Cal. It's either .308 or .300 win mag period, again being a realist this could actually get built if it's not a $37,000 rifle so cost is in fact a consideration. So what do you think? Do we start with a Remington 700 and build up from there or spend a little more up front hoping you don't have to do as much customization and start with a Kimber, Sako, Weatherby etc? I am not opposed to the AR-10 platform in .308 if anybody want's to persuade me in that directions. So What do you think?

OK,
Here is mine..
I got the R700 on sale for $435.00, Scope cost $360.00, Rings cost me $130.00, Bipod $50.00 JMSTactical Chassis $1100.00 = $2075.00 total, then I sold the original Hogue Stock on Ebay for $75.00 which means my net cost was $2000.00 even. The scope I used is a Hawke Sidewinder 30, I know people say they have blur at the high end of the magnification settings, but I have not experienced that with this one.

[Broken External Image]

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks nice. What kind of performance have you got from this rig.
OK,
Here is mine..
I got the R700 on sale for $435.00, Scope cost $360.00, Rings cost me $130.00, Bipod $50.00 JMSTactical Chassis $1100.00 = $2075.00 total, then I sold the original Hogue Stock on Ebay for $75.00 which means my net cost was $2000.00 even. The scope I used is a Hawke Sidewinder 30, I know people say they have blur at the high end of the magnification settings, but I have not experienced that with this one.

[Broken External Image]

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So talking prices I suppose I will chime in on my 24" barrel savage 10fp in .308 with accu trigger and fat barrel.
Buddy's cousin needed a transmission built TH350 had 2 old guns that were his grandfathers guns.
I looked at them and traded a transmission I had 200 bucks in it.

So one of the guns was a 1957 sweet 16 shotgun not a scratch or blemish on it.
the other was a .22 rifle I sold the rifle for 110 so now I have 90 bucks into this 16 gauge Browning.
I traded Big Boys straight across for a new in the box 10fp.
Got some weaver mounts 35 bucks and a centerpoint scope 70 bucks. so less than 200 in this .308.

I usually will not spend more than 300 for a gun.
I will just take it out in the rain and hunt with it in the briars, mud and sticks.
Sometimes I think of getting an expensive gun, something usually happens and I do not.

JMSTactical

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I must not lie! I have yet to fire this rifle. The redeeming factors are the barrel is 100% free floated, The action is V-Bedded, and the chassis is 100% milled aircraft aluminum except for the grip, the rubber butt pad, and a few screws that are steel..
I am thinking about having a promo deal where I have people mount the chassis on their Rem 700 rifles, and go to the range and shoot at 600 - 1000 yards and the person who shoots the tightest groups gets a free chassis (chassis only)...
It would get my product honest reviews and someone would get blessed with a free chassis. I have talked to a guy who runs a 1500 yard range here in Ok that is willing to let me come out and shoot at 1000 to see what it will do. Before I do that, I will
put my 26" barreled Rem 700 on it with my Nightforce Scope to get the best conditions for the test.. To answer your question, this should shoot every bit as good as my AICS does.

Latest posts

Top Bottom