Lets talk Minis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the history of OSA this has probably been done a few times but I'm interested in a pros/cons discussion about the Mini 14. I've never owned one but have put a few rounds through one.

Currently have one on hold at SSP but need to get down there and pick it up.

1, 2, ready go!

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you asking a question? Which one did you get? You know they suck right? Can't hit a barn at 20yds right? AR's are better, you know that right?

I like mini's. Had one for a while. Sweet shooter and a blast to put rounds through. Post a pic when you get it home.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No particular questions, just a discussion thread. I've watched several YouTube videos on them and have heard the reports, both good and bad. Hickok45 had never fired one either but fell in love with it.

As far as the model I have on hold, I'm not really sure since my bro dlbleak was in SSP and told me about it. I haven't seen it but it's stainless.

I've considered one for years but just never owned one. I plan to mount an optic on it and wonder if the Nikon P-223 would fit the bill.

I suppose it comes from when I was a kid and my FFL dad had the Ruger catalog picturing the AC-556 stainless folder with the wood stock. Stunningly beautiful rifle. Those stocks are worth a mint these days.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have had 2 over the years. One standard with irons and one stainless ranch rifle with optics. I'm one of those who could never shoot one with real accuracy. Don't have a clue why. I could shoot rings around mine with my SKS. Back in the day, I could shoot lights out with an M1. I probably wouldn't have qualified with a Mini. Go figure.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fun gun, light and handy. I had one years ago that was a hoot to shoot. In those days it was the only real alternative to an AR for someone wanting a semi-auto in .223, but couldn't afford the Colt. Decent aftermarket magazines were available from PMI. I should have never parted with it. I might even consider another one sometime, if I found a really, really nice early model.

My son has a ranch rifle, and he loves it, but I never cared much for that model. If you're getting one of those, and you're a reloader, prepare for a good hike to find your brass.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've only held one once and I have zero experience shooting one. I do know that the factory mags are generally the best. If I were to own one I would like an NYPD marked one.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That brings up a question: How does the Mini-14 differ from the Ranch Rifle?

Relying only on memory (always risky), the ranch rifle came with rings and a scope base. That was early on. I think the term has been used liberally since then for the base model. I'm not really sure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom