Lets talk Minis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowler7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had both minis in the past the 14 and 30. The 30 was probably the more accurate of the two. Like everyone says use factory mags and the are utterly reliable. Now if your plannin on actually hitting something besides dirt every time plan on being disappointed a lot. I think occasionally I want one again. When I do I just pull out the AR and my favorite handload and urge goes away. I have to admit though when I pick one up and look at the garand style action they are hard to put down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fine rifles, absolutely reliable with factory mags (and I prefer the 20 rd Ruger mags over the factory 30 rounders), accurate enough for everything this side of paper punching, with a charging handle and safety where John C. Garand thought such controls should be located.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had a few over the years and I really like them. I watched a you-tube video on doing a trigger job and then performed it on mine. I must say that it made a night and day difference and I would suggest that you do it when you get yours.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Should have mine in a couple weeks and looking forward to it. Already picked up a couple of the Tapco Gen2 mags for it after reading some reviews on the improvements over the first model. I've heard they do better with heavier bullets than the 55 gr. Anyone experienced this?

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought one a couple of years ago, mainly because I was scared not to. I personally don't care for ARs, nothing wrong with them, they're just not my thing. Mine is reasonably accurate, will shoot 2MOA groups, which is about all I can shoot with any rifle anymore. A friend bought one about 4 years ago with the harmonic balancer thing on the end of the barrel. Before we finally found the sweet spot he was ready to throw the whole thing in the trash. Once we found the sweet spot it became a true MOA rifle.
The factory trigger is pretty bad, but it's not a hard fix to lighten it up and still keep it safe.
I've got a Leupold 2X7 on mine. I bought a P223 for it and ended up putting it on my 10-22, and leaving the Leupold on the Mini.
I've seen a barrel stabilizer thing that bolts on the barrel somehow, but can't remember who makes it. It's supposed to help quite a bit with accuracy.
IMHO, the Mini is the ideal truck gun. No, it will never stack bullet holes at 1000 yards, but it will always go bang with very little maintainence.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally got my "new to me" Mini out yesterday. The thing is a blast. It's a circa '82 model in stainless with the light barrel. Ruger has since beefed up the barrel and improved accuracy. I think that even in it's stock form, the rifle is accurate enough for its intended use. At first I considered installing an optic on it but will probably keep irons on it. Tech Sights makes a replacement rear sight for the Mini that looks to be greatly improved over the stock sight.

Just for sake of discussion, my Mini has a black painted stock with "OSR" carved into it and a rack number on the bottom of the pistol grip. Anyone know what OSR is? Oklahoma Sheriff Reserve?

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool , glad you got it in.

The side optics mount make looking through the iron sights really easy.

They also make a" barrel clamp", cant think of the official name, that stabilizes the barrell a little better.

Yeah, they are a blast to shoot, feeling the action, its just different than an AR... ;)

I had a couple of the tapco mags that worked pretty well, factory are better.

My son and I zeroed it in at 100yds. it worked great.

Then it started shooting high right about 1 1/2", long story short we had some mags with .556 in them.

Dont know the difference, weight of bullett , maybe?

Good Luck and Great gun.... :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom