Lets talk Minis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have had a Mini-14 (GB LE/GOVT marked) since they first came out. Recently installed a barrel brace, and it really shrunk the groups. 100% reliable, very accurate with 55gr loads, and not to bad with the heavier bullets. I have the original wood stock, but replaced it with the houge over molded stock. I prefer her to an AR any day.

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_DSCN2867.jpg

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_203_DSCN0470.jpg

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_203_DSCN0471.jpg

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned several mini's and they were very good reliable rifles. They have two weaknesses that I can think of.

Availability of parts. If something breaks, it goes back to Ruger and they can fix it as long as they still have parts for it. I think it was two years ago that Ruger said they would no longer work on their AC556 full auto model. They ran out of parts and have no intention of making any more.

Magazines. Mini's prefer factory magazines to work properly. 20 round mags were all you could get for a long time. Even before the 1994 ban, Ruger would only sell 30 rounders to LE. If they ever made a mag well to fit AR magazines, they probably couldn't keep them in stock.

If I could find one of the GB models at a decent price, I'd get one.

Elm Creek Smith

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they ever made a mag well to fit AR magazines, they probably couldn't keep them in stock.

I saw a YouTube video (which I cannot find now!) where a guy took a Dremel tool to the inside of a Mini-14 magazine well to fit Mag-Pul AR magazines. Seems he had to drill the front locator hole in the mags too. Found it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZCcRk6AJEw

mike sweeney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something about these rifles ive always liked. I got hooked on Mini's when the HiPo's sold off there GB rifles. Wish I still had my GB folders but I hated the fact that there was no good way to mount optics.

Here are the two i have now. I love the target model with an ATI stock but i had to bring the scope back for a half decent check weld. The other one is a 582 series with an ATI stock and Votex red dot.

here's what i get at 100 yards typically with the tac rifle

here's a typical group at 100 yards with my target model

somarsmi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have owned the mini 14 ranch rifle and the target version. The Ranch rifle is light, has great Iron sights and I enjoy shooting it. I did have some problems with purchasing magazines; I bought a lot of crappy ones that weren’t factory. The target model was not for me. I bought it out of ignorance and put a BSA scope on it that lost zero every 3rd round or so. I quickly sold the target model… but I definitely recommend the light ranch rifle for some fun shooting with Iron sights.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty sure OSR = Oklahoma State Reformatory; believe they had an auction some months back of mini-14's from Granite. I had my eye on one but procrastinated too long and it was gone.

yep ,thats it. i'm leaving mine just as it is

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something about these rifles ive always liked. I got hooked on Mini's when the HiPo's sold off there GB rifles. Wish I still had my GB folders but I hated the fact that there was no good way to mount optics.

Here are the two i have now. I love the target model with an ATI stock but i had to bring the scope back for a half decent check weld. The other one is a 582 series with an ATI stock and Votex red dot.

here's what i get at 100 yards typically with the tac rifle

here's a typical group at 100 yards with my target model

I have thought about pulling my scope off and running a Vortex StrikeFire. Just for a change.

Latest posts

Top Bottom