Muzzle Loader Noob Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cant ever tell, when my custom .40 bedford is done...before september, ill have lotsa deals. Ill move 5 or 6, maybe we can work a deal. (Hint) I need a drop cloth tent sewed up.

Keep me in mind, I like deals :) What is a drop cloth tent? Seems a bit flimsy for a tent.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lurker,

I tried using a treated drop cloth for a dinner fly for one of my wall tents. It just holds and leaks water. Here's why: Canvas duck is a lot tighter a weave. When it gets wet, it swells, shedding water. That's why you don't want to touch it when it is wet. It gives the water a path to leak through.

Back on topic now!

Brandi, you will LOVE muzzle loading! I think it is kind of like being a pipe smoker. All the little ritual things you do to load, and so on. Spend a few extra bucks, and don't get the cheapest, although they shoot too.

I really like Hodgdon Triple Seven. It shoots consistent, and doesn't have sulfur, so it is much less corrosive, and easier to clean (warm water). As a test, I shot a cheap old junker six shooter I had, and intentionally put it away dirty. It was over a month before it started to rust, and even that was minimal. Good stuff! Screw pellets. Shoot FF!

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brandi, like Dennis, I have a smokeless muzzleloader. It was put together for me by these folks:

http://www.smokelessmuzzleloading.com/

You send them just the receiver of an H&R or New England Arms shotgun (any gauge) and they custom fit a .50 caliber barrel on it. You can still use it as a shotgun if you want. I think their rifle receivers are also the same, but am not sure. Mine is an NEA Pardner. I was concerned about it being a low end receiver, but they told me all the pressure is contained in the barrel (it has a breech plug) and that the receiver is only a holding fixture for the barrel. Almost no pressure gets to the breech face.

They sell an inexpensive attachment to make cocking the hammer much easier with the scope in place, and I'm danged if I can remember what it's called, but you'll need one.

This is a very simple design, and uses shotgun primers for a guaranteed ignition every time. Unlike the SMLs of the major manufacturers, this puts the primer where you can just pop it out. Savage was the last big maker of SMLs, and they have discontinued them. I have used the Savage SML of a friend, and prefer the simplicity of mine. Not pretty, but shoots about like a 30-06 out to maybe 250 yards with a big 'ole bullet. I use 240 grain bullets. Gotta use sabots designed for smokeless powder. Barrel comes with a scope mount on it.

If you go this way, clean it about every 20 rounds or accuracy will go, rather suddenly, straight to hell. Ask me how I know.

Apologies to the traditionalists. I understand your link to the past and heartily respect it. But, for a SHTF ML, this is probably a better way to go. By the way, dipping is out. Powder charges must be weighed. I keep about 20 in my possibles bag, along with about 20 bullet/sabot combinations in small plastic tubes that the SML folks sell for cheap. They also offer sabots and bullets at pretty competitive prices.

In a real shortage situation, you could break down rifle cartridges and use the powder for your SML, but that would require some care in working up viable loads. Honestly, I can't envision ever wanting a ML in a SHTF situation unless it was all I had.

Have fun with this!

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lurker,

I tried using a treated drop cloth for a dinner fly for one of my wall tents. It just holds and leaks water. Here's why: Canvas duck is a lot tighter a weave. When it gets wet, it swells, shedding water. That's why you don't want to touch it when it is wet. It gives the water a path to leak through.

Back on topic now!

Brandi, you will LOVE muzzle loading! I think it is kind of like being a pipe smoker. All the little ritual things you do to load, and so on. Spend a few extra bucks, and don't get the cheapest, although they shoot too.

I really like Hodgdon Triple Seven. It shoots consistent, and doesn't have sulfur, so it is much less corrosive, and easier to clean (warm water). As a test, I shot a cheap old junker six shooter I had, and intentionally put it away dirty. It was over a month before it started to rust, and even that was minimal. Good stuff! Screw pellets. Shoot FF!

Unless it's over the head of someone you want to have a miserable night! This, according to me Eagle Scout brother, was a common practical joke when he was in scouting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom