Need a new truck Ram 2500 Hemi or F150 Eco?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed, the ford leather seats are too firm IMO. Comparing cloth ford seats to my BIL's cloth dodge seats, the Ford's were much more comfortable. Talking f250 and 3/4 Dodge too, half ton seats may be different.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do some research on the ecoboost engine and make sure they have resolved the issues the earlier ones had, the f 150 was the one they had the most problems with.

Jango8753

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my opinion is that if you are springing into the 40k realm why not look at the new ram 3.0l eco diesel. comparable cost to ecoboost f150, but longevity of a diesel. engine is 10-15 years old, been in service in Europe under fiat. has more torque than the 5.7 or the ecoboost. and gets better gas mileage than both. also being the diesel should hold value longer. also 2012 + ram/dodge quality is 10x that of 2011 and lower, attention to the small things has really helped everything from interior to mechanical.

problem is if you want used then yeah go with f150 or your 2500...

just my thoughts, ive been looking into the ram 1500 diesel for a while now and considering buying one.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Until recently, we've had a 2010 Ford F150 super cab pickup. There have been more than one person that has ridden in it that stated that it was probably one of the most comfortable rides they had experienced. A couple said it even rivaled a sedan's ride. I have no experience with the eco-boost engine, but I've heard lots of good things about it. Dodge is advertising that their Ram 1500 with diesel gets something like 154 miles per tank more than the Ford. They fail to mention in their ads that diesel is double the price of gasoline. So, I wouldn't even consider a diesel at this point, except that our F450 is used to tow our home, an 18,500 lb luxury fifth wheel.

I have long been more impressed with the interiors of the Fords over both GM and Dodge.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have two different friends with 5.7 hemis and both of them have experienced valve spring failure. Having 4 valves per cylinder requires the springs to be smaller in size and the mechanics I have talked with seem to think this is the root cause for the failure. Once seeing that, I decided to stay away from the Hemi engines. My next truck may well be a Ford.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never owned a dodge but have 2 fords now and I love them. They are older powerstrokes though, not the new stuff with cadilac ride. Mine are paid for and I'll drive em till the stop. If I ever decide I dont need a diesel anymore, I'll get a twin turbo ecoboost.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You really are comparing apples and oranges, 3/4 V8 to 1/2 V6.

1. The 6.4 Hemi is way better than the 5.7, when loaded down or towing.
2. Ford 6.2 in 3/4 ton will out pull and better mileage than either Ram.
3. Ford 5.4 in 1/2 ton will do what you have requested.
4. Ford interior better. IMO, Ram looks cheap.
5. Ford seats more comfortable.
6. Ram is usually cheaper, get what you pay for.

I have F-150 5.4, 160k, regularly pull horse trailer, no problems.
Son has Ram 1500, 5.7, gets worse mileage than I do whether empty or with trailer. He can take me off the line, but that is not my priority, anymore.
Son has Ram 2500, 6.4, good power, trailer towing, drinks gas.
FIL has F250 6.2, good mileage, good power, great towing.

My next truck, this year, will be F250 6.2gas, 4x4, crew cab.

If initial price is #1 concern, then Ram is probably your choice.
Over all price and satisfaction of ownership, I choose Ford.

Wichita Ford has 2015 6.2, XLT, 4x4, crew cab, cloth seats in the $40k range, several to choose
Vernon Ford has same and includes LIFETIME power train warranty. Well loaded $43k.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure why everyone on this thread keeps calling a Ram a "Dodge". Its a Fiat, bumper to bumper with uncomfortable seats and a cheap interior. I've had Ram, Chevy and Ford for company vehicles over the years. I wouldn't spend good money on a ram. Get the Ford

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No one talks much about Nissan Titans but I bought a new one in 04 and sold it in 2014 and it was an excellent truck. It went 260K miles with few problems and I sold it to a bricklayer friend of mine and he is liking it a lot. It was a half ton but was built nearly like a 3/4 ton and I hauled 1500-1700 lbs several times with no issues at all, and when I did that with my previous F-150 it seemed like that was too much. The Titan had a little bit of stiff ride but it was quite comfortable on long trips and it handled corners like sports car and it still looked great after 10 years and still averaged 16.7 mpg combined city/hwy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom