Oklahoma House Resurrects Bill To Arm School Teachers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronchodawg

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If having some well trained armed teachers the best way to keep our kids safe then there should not be any debate.
What is best for kids?
A school where we can only lock our doors and hope a student, teacher, employee, or parent is not in the hall. Or a well trained armed teacher who could stop the threat immediately.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again, I'm all for it, if it's done carefully and with proper forethought.

What you guys want to be the case in our schools, and what is the reality of what really happens is our schools are kinda different. You can rant about what should happen, and what things should be done until the cows wander on home, it isn't going to change the reality of what our schools have become. Did you read the story last week about the Principal that got fired for finally enforcing the tardy policy, and had a couple of students arrested? Her ass got fired. Not resigned as was reported. She was forced out. If your choices are be fired or officially resign, you've been fired.

The thing that I hold most dear, my wife, goes to work in a school every day. I would imagine that people that still have children in school feel exactly the same way about their kids. I don't think schools should be gun-free zones, we all know what that means, but I think arming teachers needs to be done with caution. Think about what will happen if a teacher is disarmed, and that gun is then used to shoot someone, anyone, and it wouldn't have to be a fatal or multiple victim shooting. What we want, teachers and administrators to be able to protect themselves and our children with something more than a locked door and a hug (dead teacher Soto at Sandy Hook) will forever be gone. Think about that. One incident, early on, will forever cancel what we're after. That's all I'm saying. It needs to be done. It needs to be done carefully.

There are a lot of things to be considered. I want all of them to be considered, and for us to have a well crafted law. That's probably too much to ask from lawmakers, but still, it would be best if it was.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

What you guys want to be the case in our schools, and what is the reality of what really happens is our schools are kinda different. You can rant about what should happen, and what things should be done until the cows wander on home, it isn't going to change the reality of what our schools have become. Did you read the story last week about the Principal that got fired for finally enforcing the tardy policy, and had a couple of students arrested? Her ass got fired. Not resigned as was reported. She was forced out. If your choices are be fired or officially resign, you've been fired.

The thing that I hold most dear, my wife, goes to work in a school every day. I would imagine that people that still have children in school feel exactly the same way about their kids. I don't think schools should be gun-free zones, we all know what that means, but I think arming teachers needs to be done with caution. Think about what will happen if a teacher is disarmed, and that gun is then used to shoot someone, anyone, and it wouldn't have to be a fatal or multiple victim shooting. What we want, teachers and administrators to be able to protect themselves and our children with something more than a locked door and a hug (dead teacher Soto at Sandy Hook) will forever be gone. Think about that. One incident, early on, will forever cancel what we're after. That's all I'm saying. It needs to be done. It needs to be done carefully.

There are a lot of things to be considered. I want all of them to be considered, and for us to have a well crafted law. That's probably too much to ask from lawmakers, but still, it would be best if it was.

If it's broke, it needs to be fixed. Society can't keep pretending such schools are ok. To me this is common sense not a rant. The voters need to take back control of the educational system.

Trying to come up with special measures to allow teachers to carry in out of control schools is much like putting a band-aid on an infected wound.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am an elementary physical education teacher, and I coach high school football and basketball. My job is a very active one, I am on my feet moving all day, a handgun would not stay concealed. At some point students would see it.
My biggest fear though is if my students were in danger and I could not protect them.

Pocket pistol in a pocket holster? It would take some rigging to keep it from flopping around but I imagine something could be devised.

DFarcher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

:clap3:

DFarcher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's broke, it needs to be fixed. Society can't keep pretending such schools are ok. To me this is common sense not a rant. The voters need to take back control of the educational system.

Trying to come up with special measures to allow teachers to carry in out of control schools is much like putting a band-aid on an infected wound.

Yep, but putting a bunch of weapons in the schools the way they are now might cause more issues than it solves. Should we put guns in schools in the hands of well trained administrators and teachers ...Yes. But we need to be careful, and smart. I think most of the details, like access could be left up to districts. Additional trainning should be required.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, but putting a bunch of weapons in the schools the way they are now might cause more issues than it solves. Should we put guns in schools in the hands of well trained administrators and teachers ...Yes. But we need to be careful, and smart. I think most of the details, like access could be left up to districts. Additional trainning should be required.

You mean you think things should be left in the hands of people who would fire a principal for doing her job??? Seems to me those people are the cause of the problems and will never be part of the solution.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It seems that the entire public school system has been taken out of the hands of local citizens and put into leftist hands - think Bill Ayers. Teachers and local citizens do not matter, only the opinions of leftist educational "experts."

As far as putting weapons into special safes for use "in case of emergency" - I am skeptical that this is going to be nearly as effective as having unknown teachers and administrators carrying concealed at all times. Seconds count especially in a Beslan type attack. Think about times when kids are massed outside.

DFarcher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But the kids would know who is carrying, just like I know if the people I spend a lot of time with are carrying, school shootings are usually carried out by students. And the other truth you ignore is that many of the problems in the public schools are a direct reflection of the parents and local citizens.

Latest posts

Top Bottom