Oklahoma House Resurrects Bill To Arm School Teachers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe I'm thinking about the wrong bill, but who is talking about "arming" teachers? There's a big difference between "arming" and "not disarming". I still fail to see a reason why a teacher, who is legally allowed to carry elsewhere, should suddenly lose that right when they go to work.

Right, they are already tasked with protecting our children, but right now we are severely limiting the tools at their disposal to get the job done. I'd still like to see some extra training for teachers both armed and disarmed on how to handle violent situations, but I think that is being partially handled in another bill. Some extra firearm classes for teachers would be a great perk though.

Bronchodawg

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a teacher and I have a conceal weapons license, and what sucks is I can not have a gun locked up in my car.
The only thing I can do if there is an intruder in the building is lock my room door and pray to God it will keep him out.
I do not like the thought of having a gun on me around students. But I do like the idea that if I was armed none of my students would be a victim.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a teacher and I have a conceal weapons license, and what sucks is I can not have a gun locked up in my car.
The only thing I can do if there is an intruder in the building is lock my room door and pray to God it will keep him out.
I do not like the thought of having a gun on me around students. But I do like the idea that if I was armed none of my students would be a victim.

What is it that worries you about having a gun on you while you are around students?

pistolpete2002

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the difference between having your gun on you and concealed at school and having it at a restaurant or Target or Wal-Mart, etc where children are around as well???

Isn't there concern about gun retention at all times?? Also, if its concealed nobody should even know you have it on you. I just don't see any downsides in allowing teachers the right to carry and protect themselves and their students. It's no different than anyone carrying anywhere else....

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife teaches at a HS in OKC.

She'll tell you, there are damn few teachers in her building that she would trust with a firearm, and the threat of being overpowered and disarmed by one or a group of students in an inner city high school, specifically the one she teaches in, is a real threat.

I'll all for it, but it needs to be done with a lot of forethought.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the difference between having your gun on you and concealed at school and having it at a restaurant or Target or Wal-Mart, etc where children are around as well???...

This is an important question. Somehow most people have bought into the idea that schools are different. I've read arguments from school administrators claiming that they have such emotionally charged interactions with parents that guns would lead to violence. I don't buy it. Teachers in Utah can carry and they have zero problems.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife teaches at a HS in OKC.

She'll tell you, there are damn few teachers in her building that she would trust with a firearm, and the threat of being overpowered and disarmed by one or a group of students in an inner city high school, specifically the one she teaches in, is a real threat.

I'll all for it, but it needs to be done with a lot of forethought.

No one is suggesting that every teacher be issued a pistol. The anti's want you to believe that this is being suggested so you will immediately think of some incompetent individual who is ill suited to carrying or using a firearm. School carry by teachers should be voluntary. Those who choose to carry would be those who probably already do so elsewhere and would be competent in the great majority of cases.

As for the problems of an out of control inner city high school where students would overpower and disarm a teacher - you are confusing two issues here. If a school tolerates out of control students, then something needs to be changed in that school. Permanent expulsion and jail for students attacking teachers seem appropriate. If the educational bureaucracy tolerates student assaults on teachers, it is time for teachers to leave and for citizens to insist that administrators be fired.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the educational bureaucracy tolerates student assaults on teachers, it is time for teachers to leave and for citizens to insist that administrators be fired.

Agreed. Chances are, if students are that out of control, they're probably packing anyway, and don't need your gun. Also, how do they know if the teacher is armed or not?

Another thing that irks me is people saying they "don't trust so-and-so to carry a firearm". So? What if I don't trust you to carry a firearm? Tough titties. You don't have a say, that's why they're called rights.

Last edited:

Bronchodawg

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is it that worries you about having a gun on you while you are around students?
I am an elementary physical education teacher, and I coach high school football and basketball. My job is a very active one, I am on my feet moving all day, a handgun would not stay concealed. At some point students would see it.
My biggest fear though is if my students were in danger and I could not protect them.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are alternatives to having one on you while you're are coaching if you're afraid it might be a problem.

I'm afraid people are focusing on the few potential problems that might occur "if" carry becomes legal instead of the obvious problem with not allowing it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom