Pain pill abuse.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem is that there are way, way, way more people abusing the system than actual people who need the help. Doctor's are bombarded with requests for pain meds for every little owie that comes along. I've seen it every time I've ever had to sit in an ER, in comes a couple people (often 3 or 4) and one of the people has some kind of issue that requires immediate pain control. Now, if you watch them, and I do, they are obviously not in any pain at all and if there is some it's not notifiable. Fast forward to them being called to the doc and suddenly they're limping or babying an arm or whatever. The doc checks them out, and because pain is mostly unprovable, they walk out with their script for hydrocodone or whatever and the limp disappears as fast as they do. Why do you think ER won't prescribe more than 5 days of meds?

It's not just the ER either, primary care, urgent care clinics, every doc who's findable is swamped with these bogus requests. So you have docs who have to deal with that crap every day and then you have the DEA and every other "oversight" agency scrutinizing every script they do write for pain meds they get frustrated. As my former pain management doc said "with the number of people abusing the system and the state and federal authorities scrutinizing every prescription written, doctors these days have become gun shy and tend to deny med requests almost completely which is good when you're dealing with a patient who's working the system but it's bad for those who truly need the medication".

I've been dealing with pain problems for the last twenty plus years and without meds I couldn't survive. My pain level without medication is simply unbearable. Following each surgery I'd get some relief but it didn't last long and just kept building until it was impossible to function. I took all the over the counter stuff and nothing made any difference and since doc's wouldn't write scripts for more than a few weeks (in the case of a primary care doc) and if they did they fell under the spotlight which apparently isn't very comfortable. Each doc would say the same thing...basically "I'm sorry, my hands are tied as far as prescribing these meds, all I can do is recommend seeing a pain management doctor".

That sounds great but pain management docs are few (because of the scrutiny and the stress involved) and since, at the time, I had no insurance not a single one would take a self pay patient. There's also the issue that because there are so few pain management docs they are swamped with legitimate patients and getting into a program is almost impossible. Finally I found a PM doctor who, because of my medical history and pain levels, took me in and allowed me to self pay. That man was a godsend and that's not something I say lightly. He was a good person and a very caring physician who was very strict about his patients adhering to the rules but because he was so strict he managed to keep the scammers weeded out. However...he retired and, unfortunately left a lot of people without a PM doctor and dependent on these meds, which I can tell you from experience, when a doc cuts you off for any reason and you are on even a moderate dose you will go through withdrawals and it's about as horrible as you can imagine. Top that off with the pain that is no longer being controlled and it is absolute hell for weeks and then hell like pain, in my case, until you find a new PM doctor (if you can).

I was lucky and my doc at the time knew my situation was too bad to go untreated and he set it up so I could see a different doc who had been his partner at one time and they shared a similar philosophy on pain management. I've been with the new doc ever since and although even with insurance it's unbelievably expensive I have no other choice and neither do a lot of people. The sad result of the people who work the system for "recreational" use is very, very few doctors will write a script even when it's needed and even fewer doctors are working in the pain management field which results in legitimate patients suffering and living in horrible pain unnecessarily. It's a shame that the systems answer to the problem is to just deny care to everyone but, to be fair, how does a doctor determine real pain from faked pain? There's no test, a doc has to go by experience and gut instinct, which is how it has been for a long time but ever tightening restrictions have make it more and more difficult for doctors to treat pain and it continues to get worse. I think in all of OKC there are three pain management programs (that I know of) excluding all the goofy chiropractors that run so-called pain management clinics and all the clinics run by self proclaimed healers of some sort. So 3 or 4 programs in a city of OKC's size leaves a lot of people left out and suffering. I hear the desk girls at my docs office answer call after call after call and saying "sorry, we're not accepting any new patients at this time".

I apologize for the long winded post but this is a subject that, unfortunately, my life revolves around and not something that can be solved by the patient just sucking it up and deal with it. With the combination of bad people scamming good docs and bad docs writing scripts for money and the state and federal agencies making it difficult for good docs to write good scripts to good patients it's just going to get worse. Unfortunately in the war to stop the scammers from getting pain meds they've also drastically increased the suffering of real patients but nobody cares about that unless they are or become one of those people that does need the medication. It's a pretty tragic story that is just swept under the rug in the name of fighting illegal drug sale and use.

Many people think dependency and addiction are the same thing but that is wrong, they are very different. Dependency is when your body becomes so used to a substance that when you stop giving your body that substance your body has a reaction of some be it a headache or vomiting or whatnot. This reaction is temporary and may last hours or days or weeks or months. That headache you get when you haven't had your coffee or soda in awhile is dependency on caffeine.

Addiction is when you cannot function normally without something. In this case it's pain medication but it could also be gambling or smoking or any number of things. If someone is addicted to something they will crave it on a level that is almost uncontrollable.

So, narcotic pain meds taken long enough, sometimes a few weeks, will cause dependency no matter who you are which is why docs wean you off them to lessen or alleviate the withdrawal symptoms. If you take narcotic pain meds for long enough you are dependent but you are only an addict if after you are no longer taking that medication you crave it and feel like you must have it to feel normal and you will do anything for it. Most people can drink alcohol with no danger of being an addict and most people can take pain medication with no danger of addiction.

Last edited:

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to another doctor. Go to one who is more interested in you than he/she is in their burden of paperwork. There's a difference between managing chronic pain and addiction. There are lots of us who'll need to deal with pain the rest of our lives. If you're hurting get it taken care of. Gout can be completely debilitating. You can bet grandpa and grandma weren't out plowing fields if they had gout.

And ditto Brandi.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope you get the care you need. I understand the problems people with chronic pain deal with.

Yes those who abuse the drugs are a problem, just like those who misuse firearms are why we get treated the way we do. Those who need the long term pain care will run into many Dr's who just don't give a damn or it is just to much hassle.

I have been very lucky the last 20 years to deal with Dr's that do care, they understand my problems are not going away, yet they do what they can to help me stay as comfortable as possible.

I like the Dr's that say things like "I gave you this med so you are fixed now it does not hurt anymore."

Sad thing is look at the number of medical people Dr's and Nurses that have addiction problems.

Some problems can not be "fixed" they must be dealt with on a daily basis. Like your breaking up a pill when it is more than you need. I do the same thing and my Dr loves that.

I have been to more than a few ER's, I wish some of the snobby type Dr's could spend a week in my skin, see what its like. I have not been to a ER in years when I need pain meds, I am in them to get a joint reduced that my wife and I just can't get back in place. I have even gone just to get an x-ray to make sure nothing has broken. The looks on Medical types of all kinds when they see my x-rays is one of those times that tells me they do not know everything.

I understand a Dr like a Cop must access each person and look for signs of abuse, but after a few years maybe they should be a bit more understanding with a person that goes to 1 Dr and 1 Pharmacy.

Good luck on getting the meds to deal with the gout, I get it in my toes and ankles, could not imagine the pain if I get it in my knees. Maybe you will find a Dr who understands chronic pain and how to treat it.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brandi: Thanks for typing that out.

My last trip to the ER I was not crying, whimpering or sweating badly. But man did I hurt, the nurse checked my BP and I got fast tracked to a room. Pain seems to send my BP up, to very unsafe level. I get tired of hearing the words stroke and die, heck I know about the problem. I am in the ER to get help so the BP will go down. My pain started when I was about 12, I am now 47, and the end of the pain is nowhere to be seen.

My last trip my BP was a measly 255/160, not bad for an amateur. :)

The most sicking thing in my life to deal with is looking at my Daughter, and knowing she has the same problem I have, knowing the pain she is in, and what is to come, and knowing it was me that passed this nasty problem to her. :(

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pain pill abuse is a really big problem in Oklahoma. See it with clients a lot. The system is screwed up. Docs prescribe it generously, and then just cut people off. That screws people up royally. On the other hand, the world is full of unhappy, miserable people seeking to escape the mediocrity of their lives through pills, booze, weed, cocaine, meth, food, religion, paranoia, money, and many other crutches.

It's too bad doctors are unable to spend more time with their patients and have a whole person approach to treating problems, both injuries and diseases. Unfortunately, the profit driven system prevents such treatment. It's the same in many professions.

It's too bad live can't be a Norman Rockwell painting.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been told by 4 doc's over the years that I had the worse case of the gout they had ever seen. The one who scraped it out of one knee was freakishly giddy about it lol. Now with a diet and watching my brew intake. It's been reduced to a dull roar... Until now.. Pray you never get this crap in a knee Dave. As much as my wrist is hurting now... I'm thankful it's there and not a knee.. And a knee without pain pills? I would have to saw a leg off.. They pain would be less..

Latest posts

Top Bottom