Painted my rims!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the point in it?

Allows for easy on, easy off color application that looks pretty similar to powder coating. At $6-$9/can depending on where you buy it and which color you pick, it's much more cost effective than powder coating, too. It's rubber in a can, though, so it doesn't offer the longevity of powder coating, but easy to patch up. If you don't like it, you peel it off. Doesn't harm the finish, either.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never heard of this either. Makes sense, gives you an idea of what it will look like before you spend money on powder coating. How does it hold up with the heat on the wheels?

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I Plasti-Dipped my grill a few months ago. Only used one can, which allowed for 6-7 (??) coats. It's held up well through the trails and on the road. A couple spots from debris on the road, but they were easily patched. The only thing I don't like about it is the red Oklahoma mud stains it. There's a trick to clean it, but I haven't tried it.

1017279_10201304537514617_791909460_n.jpg

I've thought about Plasti-Dipping my wheels white to look like this:
1043881_10200792740413686_1283427108_n.jpg

But if my black grille has splatter stains on it, I couldn't imagine what white wheels would look like after one mud puddle.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never heard of this either. Makes sense, gives you an idea of what it will look like before you spend money on powder coating. How does it hold up with the heat on the wheels?

It's the same crap you see on the infomercial for Flex Seal, only it's 1/3 of the cost and you don't have to wait for shipping.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice! I wouldn't have thought of using plasti dip on rims. I use it on my trolling motor foot pedal to reduce temp and increase traction when fishing barefoot. I wonder if anyone else has unique uses for that stuff?

One of the more unique uses I've seen are people using it to refinish door knobs, faucets, etc. They make a "bronzer" which gives the black a golden sheen, almost making it look like aged bronze.

My step dad has a non-aerosol can of it and he uses it to refinish the handles on his hand tools.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The rims on my Z were plasti-dipped black when I bought it. It is coming off some now, the guy said he had had it on for over 6 months. Was still in good shape until some guy detailed the car and supposedly used a wrong chemical cleaning the wheels and he said it started to peel then. Also, when I got the rear tires swapped, they scratched it up a bit.

I am going to peel it off, mask a few spots to retain some silver accents and re-do it. Gotta wait till I get new tires on the front, though, don't want the shop-monkeys screwing it up again.

Once I've done it once or twice and decide exactly how I like the color-scheme, I'm gonna look into having them permanently powder-coated. :D

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My step dad has a non-aerosol can of it and he uses it to refinish the handles on his hand tools.
The first time I saw it used was in a gun shop--the owner used it to coat the hangers for the long guns he had on the wall behind the counter.

I've seen lots of car guys use it as temporary protection or to get an idea of how a color/pattern will look before doing something permanent (read: $$$$$), but they normally coat the whole wheel, not just the rims... ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom