Places that are off limits for CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks man, stirring the pot, was not my intent. I will reword the question abit. I had read this post and noticed that there are a mix of opions on what the signs mean. In Kansas there is one specific sign for no concealed carry. Any other text based signs do not apply to us. I was wondering if OK had such a sign or were private owners able to simply post a text based warning against concealed carry.

Secondly I was told there was no carry in hospitals in OK. However reading the Oklahoma self defense act I do not see hospitals listed. Am I reading it right that hospitals are open to carry if not posted?

I was just up there a couple of weeks ago shooting at the range in Junction City, KS (on the spur). with my friend, it was a nice range forgot its name though.

In Oklahoma there aren't specification for a no guns sign. And the SDA doesn't mention (no gun signs)

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was also interested in CCW at the ZOO? Is it a City Owned property doing business with the public?

Also, Parks are now open for CCW, but the park buildings are not. I guess we have to pee in the woods since the bathroom is in the building?

This is only my 2 cents and I'm not a lawyer. I do not believe that the signs on the park bldgs are legal. The regulations state that city and state govt bldgs are off limit where they do business with the public. I believe this to be where government is doing business, specifically where the functions of govt is being handled, not programs that the govt supports. No one does government business at the park recreation bldg. Therefore, since the statutes are specific on where local government can restrict ccw, then everywhere else must, by default, be legal.

Of course, I don't want to be the test case.:sorry4:

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was also interested in CCW at the ZOO? Is it a City Owned property doing business with the public?

Also, Parks are now open for CCW, but the park buildings are not. I guess we have to pee in the woods since the bathroom is in the building?

I've been to the Zoo and the only signs I've seen were on structures, which leads me to believe that you can carry at the zoo just not in any buildings.

"Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased
by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority for
the purpose of conducting business with the public"

unsure about the Pachyderm building no signs on it but it is a structure.

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2007_2_.pdf
http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/Searches/AN-R.asp?ACCOUNTNO=R168661777

freetrapper

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends if its a state ran hospital. Not entirely sure myself. I would imagine the VA would be off limits.

I know I have carried in hospitals but the only 2 hospitals I have been in since license was a Catholic Hospital and a Women's Hospital.

As far as signage, I dont think OK has any regulation on the signs. Either a gun buster, or simple text "No Weapons" are allowed for private property.

Thanks for the info. My wife is being treated at the Cancer Treatment Centers of America. They have a small gun in circle with a slash so That sounds good enough under OK law.

freetrapper

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was just up there a couple of weeks ago shooting at the range in Junction City, KS (on the spur). with my friend, it was a nice range forgot its name though.

In Oklahoma there aren't specification for a no guns sign. And the SDA doesn't mention (no gun signs)

I live just down the road a piece and we are working on building a multi bay range to replace our make shift outdoor range we are now using. If you ever plan on coming up again, drop me a line.

Celer_Silens_Mortalis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone may have already said this, i have not read all the posts, but i have not shopped at 7-11 in over a year because they refuse to take down their NO GUNS signs. I do not shop in malls at all because most of them in the internal stores have NO GUNS. There are plenty of businesses here in Oklahoma that want my business. On cue is another one that hates law abidding gun owners, just throwin that out there.

Joe S

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check this out

"c. any property adjacent to a structure, building, or office space in which concealed weapons are prohibited by the provisions of this section,"

The house my fiance and I are buying backs up to an elementary school. After our fence, the school property starts. Does this mean I can't even have a gun in my home? (we are both CCW holders)

B. For purposes of paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 of subsection A of this section, the prohibited place does not include and specifically excludes the following property:
1. Any property set aside for the use of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority,
2. Any property set aside for the use of any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, by any entity offering any professional sporting event which is open to the public for admission, or by any entity engaged in pari-mutuel wagering authorized by law,
3. Any property adjacent to a structure, building, or office space in which concealed weapons are prohibited by the provisions of this section, and

You should be fine.

ETA: My citation comes from http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2009.pdf page 19.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update on VA Hospital Posting

OKC VA Hospital has much tightened security, and the Security Personnel are actively looking for weapons in vehicles in the parking lot.

Today as I entered the north lot, the guard asked for driver's license in addition to VA card. When I opened the wallet for the driver's license, she spotted the CHL and immediately went "on point," demanding to know where my weapon was. At the reply "at home" she studied me for a moment and decided to let me pass.

The VA Hospital has the parking lot prominently posted "No Weapons" and guarded, and does not honor the OK "parking lot law." A Virginia man was arrested at a VA hospital for having his handgun in the vehicle, contested it, and lost in Federal Court this year.

On a related note, spoke with the asst director of the Wichita Mtns Wildlife Refuge concerning their implementation of new law on carry in Natl Parks and Refuges. He said they are going to post every structure on the refuge, including the Public Bathrooms, and enforce strictly. He said to pass on they expect people to notify them immediately if stopped for speeding in the refuge, and observe the "No Weapons" signs. He said storing in private vehicles was fine.

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My coworker keeps telling people there is a actual Federal law that says you can't take guns into bank and its a felony.

I asked her for a reference and she said she was done talking about it with me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom