Question for the Jeep guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Assuming those fenders are hard plastic, baby oil or even motor oil would provide a quick fix. Wipe it on until it sinks in good and wipe off as much excess as possible. Its only temporary, and if you live on dirt roads I wouldn't recommend it for obvious reasons.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought a '99 Wrangler and was wondering if there is a way to get the fenders black again. They have aged to a dull grey. Any tricks?

Damn! Just saw a product made just this application on one of those saturday DIY shows. Local parts store should be able to tell you what it is.

TripleD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used Back to Black. Didn't last more than a few weeks. I've heard of others using a heat gun. But you need to be careful. You can also paint them. The Krylon Fuson paint is a common choice, or even spray on bedliner. I'm on the fence about swapping for flat fenders, but those choices are looking to be expensive or very expensive. :)

If I don't go flat I'll probably paint.

Here is a pic from a few years ago right after washing and using the back to black
afarm1.static.flickr.com_141_347030640_616a45c170.jpg
clean1 by Diamond Diggity Dave, on Flickr

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only long term solution is Krylon Fusion paint. It isn't necessary to remove them to do it and the results are worth the time it takes to do it right.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used Wet-n-Black on mine a few weeks back and it worked great (its for tires and penetrates better than Armor-All).

I haven't had to redo them again for over two weeks now (and its been out in the rain and dirt - haven't washed it yet, but its held up surprisingly good (I just had some left over in the garage and sprayed all the plastic down in the Jeep with it - bumpers and fenders look great as does the spare-tire cover).

Latest posts

Top Bottom