1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Question...

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by O4L, Apr 1, 2021.

1. O4L

O4L Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I will be using either an older Rockchucker or a Brown Bair 3 die press.

I haven't decided which one yet. Any suggestions or info on accessories or tips for these?

(Internet pictures)

reload-1.jpg press%204.jpg

2. Aries

Aries Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Yes, they still make them. Google one of these and you can probably find one for a better price.

https://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-hand-press.html

HFS likes this.
  3. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Put support like a 2X4 under the table to spread out the pressures generated by a press. You will find some cases can require more muscle to size than others.
    Straight wall cases not so much, but bottle neck cases can certainly generate pressure on the resizing.

JT708 and O4L like this.
  4. O4L

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Any suggestions on which one of these presses to choose?

5. Aries

Aries Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I don't know anything about the other one but the Rockchucker is as good as it gets for a single stage press.

O4L likes this.
  6. O4L

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I agree. A buddy of mine had a Rockchucker back in our Junior High days that we used a little but that three die set up on the Brown Bair sure has me intrigued.

7. Aries

Aries Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    It does look like that might be pretty fast.

O4L likes this.
  8. BReeves

BReeves Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Use both with a 4 die set. Put the Factory Crimp die in the single die press.

O4L likes this.
  9. Mad Professor

Mad Professor Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    My vote is to stick with the Rock Chucker. It will be far less confusing. Do one operation on a time on batches of 50-100 (after initial setup and testing is confirmed) cartridges during the loading operation. You can also still get the primer feed tools for it.

That Bair design has not been seen the last 40-45 years even though Hornady owns the rights.

If you want to speed up the die change operation a bit, you can buy a conversion busing that will allow you to use Hornady lock and load bushings. The kit is about $20 and includes the adapter and 3 bushings. Just have to wait for production to catch back up.

These will allow a 1/4 turn swap of the dies with no additional setup needed. The only way to speed this up any faster (short of a progressive) would be a nice turret press.

That Rock Chucker is a keeper. I’d clean the other up and eBay it to fund additional items.

10. O4L

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Okay after doing a little investigative research I have discovered that the RCBS press is a Reloader Special (RS), the original version I believe, and not a Rock Chucker.

I don't think there is a lot of difference between the two except the RC is taller so there is more space for loading longer cartridges.

Like I've said before, I don't know what I don't know and although I am trying to read and watch just about anything that has been recommended for reloading, I haven't yet come across any specific suggestions for testing handgun loads.

I know I'll get to some of that eventually but I thought I would ask here what you all recommend given my circumstances.

I will be reloading 9mm. I have enough components to load 500 rounds. The only place I have to shoot outdoors right now, which I highly prefer, is 45 minutes away.

Once I am ready to start making ammo how would you proceed as far as doing some initial load testing?

I know, I know, I should proceed with caution.