Reliable AR15......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Proving again, that reliability means different things to different people....and is therefore a pretty useless term. Which brings us back around to my original point that started the mess (post #12). We only progressed beyond that when peanut pressed me for MY standard.

Right, it means different things to different people. Which is exactly why it gets old hearing people (not you in particular) saying "until you go through a 2k round count weekend class your rifle isn't reliable". Sure it is, maybe not 2k rounds without maint reliable, but for that user maybe. It also means I tire of hearing the opposite.. "I bought a rifle last week and put a mag through without jams, it didn't cost $500 and it's reliable" comments.

The last thing I'll say is that you don't test the rifle to 2,000 rounds in a short period without maintenance because that is something you might have to do, you test it to that standard because it gives you a larger sample and a means to meaure the average rounds, or cycles, before failure.

Backing out now.

I would argue that for someone who needs maybe 100 rounds without failure knowing that it will go to 2k once is merely a novelty; a bragging point. Knowing that it will go 200rds without failure ten times would be much more reassuring to me. Now if you can do the same 2k string of fire 10-12x a year, then you're getting somewhere; and it means more than "Oh, I went to 2k once!" Am I making any sense?

Going to 2000 rounds once is a smaller sample size than going to 200 rounds 10 times. Going to 2k 10 times, is way smaller than going to 200rds 100 times.

However, if you are going into battle, knowing your rifle would go to 200rds means little to you, since you carry more than that on you, with more supplies behind, and getting in a battle that could very well last a couple days, and actually get close to 2000 rounds before you can take down and inspect is on the daily agenda... then you want to know your equipment is up to that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom