Reliable AR15......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foggy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably gonna be alot of discussion on this but here goes. What makes an AR feed reliabily? I know from experience that cheap ammo or different types of ammo make a difference. Any other thoughts from you guys on what make for 99-100% reliable feeds? ( I am in the middle a new build is one reason I am asking ).

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a $510 reliable AR. It does not have M4 feedramps.
I only shoot steel case through it.
M4 and M4 style should be the same.
I also use GI mags, not the plastic mags.
You don't have to drink the koolaid to have a reliable gun.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think that once you learn more about AR's you want better/nicer parts.
But, cheap parts can be reliable to an extent. Do you want the gun to cycle/run reliably for 300 rounds or do you want the gun to cycle/run relibly without parts failure for 5000 rounds?
Would i trust my $510 ar to run reliably for 1000 rounds before any type of malf or failure? Yes
Would it make it to 5000? Possibly but i'd have my doubts.

Foggy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have tried steel case ammo. At this point a full HK Mag would be reliable! Current rifle is 100% DPMS. Ongoing is a Spike lower and then who knows!?!. The current russian steel case jams and I am just shooting it to get rid of it. Maybe I am doing something I am overlooking. I have been building ARs for 20 years off and on. Just wondering what I did different on the last build that I didn't back in the day.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Your barrel that has jams, is it chrome lined cHamber?
I've HAD a couple dpms chromemoly barrels. They were jamming fools.
I also/they(dpms) did not have a heavy enough buffer and the cases (steel and brass) were getting the rim ripped off.
I think the way they have their guns set up, the barrels are over gassed and lowers are under buffered.
What buffer, carrier are you using? What length gas system? I'm guessing carbine with collapsible stock/ light buffer? Is it a plastic buffer? If it is it is toooo light.
Cleaned the chamber real good?

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would say mainly the magazine or more specifically the feed lips. Next would be feed ramps then a rough chamber. That being said feed ramps effect different kinds of ammo(bullets) differently. There are many without feed ramps that feed reliably. If the lips of the mag is the issue it will most likely have issues across the board. Chambers can be polished. In the past there were issues with DPMS having rough and tight chambers. That may not be the case at present.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That is a good point. You can take a cleaning rod with some crocus cloth or extremely fine grit sand paper, put it on a cleaning brush, chuck it up in the drill and polish the chamber. Use lots of oil and don't go too long or fast.
That may help your extraction issues, not much for feeding though!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For reliable function you need: ammo that's in spec, quality magazines in good condition, barrel extension that matches the upper (M-4 to M-4, standard to standard), clean & correct chamber (don't run 5.56 brass in a .223 chamber), correctly sized and aligned gas port, bolt carrier key properly staked, gas rings in good condition and properly aligned, buffer weight and recoil spring properly tuned for the gas delivery system, and plenty of lube on the BCG.

All of these things go together to make the system function reliably. Take away one or two of these things and it may still work most of the time, but if it's too far out of whack it's gonna fail.

Latest posts

Top Bottom