Reliable AR15......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive got a $130 Plumcrazy Lower, and a $400 Rock River upper. a whole bunch of the GI issue OKAY mags. works flawless.

been reliable for over 2000 rounds.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had flawless feeding with aluminum and magpul mags in Colt, Bushmasters, Rock River Arms and LWRCI carbines, but oddly, the Olympic Arms (third tier) carbine won't seat Magpul mags. Mag catch will not engage. GI style aluminum mags work fine, though. Interesting characteristic to me. Some slight variation on the magwell I figure.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So, what is your sustained rate of fire and time qualification that all guns must pass to attain the reliabilty status?

Sounds good, but "reliable" is a nebulous word and is damn near useless.

"Reliable" means one thing to a guy who shoots a couple hundred rounds a year on a flat paper target range, it means something else to a guy who shoots 500 rounds a day on a dynamic shooting range, and altogether something different to a guy who straps on 300+ rounds, with more in the truck, and heads towards the sound of the guns in a strange land.

Sure, a $510 AR might run...but will it run when you take it up to it's sustained rate of fire, keep it there for a long period of time, get it hot, dirty, bang it around, and still keep slamming mags in it?

If you don't need to do any of that, then it can still be 'reliable' for you, but not across the full spectrum of possible use.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sustained rate of fire is 12-15 rounds per minute for the standard M4 carbine. To me that means it should be able to fire 12-15 RPM indefinitely, with only the addition of lube on the BCG occasionally.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, what is your sustained rate of fire and time qualification that all guns must pass to attain the reliabilty status?

GTG posted it for the M4. It's not my standard, it's Milspec and it isn't uniform across all types of guns. Know your equipment.

For my piece of mind, reliability for an M4/M16 type is not blasting off a couple mags at the range and putting it back in the safe every other weekend. If that works for a given user, cool, but it isn't enough to bestow the "reliable" tag to an entire brand or type of rifle and advise others that said rifle is "reliable".

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GTG posted it for the M4. It's not my standard, it's Milspec and it isn't uniform across all types of guns. Know your equipment.

For my piece of mind, reliability for an M4/M16 type is not blasting off a couple mags at the range and putting it back in the safe every other weekend. If that works for a given user, cool, but it isn't enough to bestow the "reliable" tag to an entire brand or type of rifle and advise others that said rifle is "reliable".

if you are like me you will put that thing through hell and back with no set limit before you say it is reliable. It shouldn't stutter or slow down a bit during that time

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly...on the flip side, knowing your equipment, and knowing existing standards is important before labeling a rifle as unreliable as well.

For example, lots of outrage and publicity over the weapons failures during the battle of Wanat in Afghanistan. If you read deeper into the investigation and testimony, there are hints that weapons exceeded the sustained rate of fire for a long period of time before the failures occured...even approaching cyclic. That doesn't indicate unreliability...it indicates that some machines broke under conditions that exceeded the designed capability.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good points. I've literally burned the finish off my M42K suppressor testing my hard use rifle. I've also run in excess of 800 rounds through it without cleaning OR lube, with zero malfunctions. Frequent inspection of wear items such as bolt lugs, gas rings, firing pins, charging handle roll pins, etc. will also help keep the fail monsters at bay. :)

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's my question. What is your requirements for guns to attain the "reliable" status in the SMS mind.

Latest posts

Top Bottom