Reliable AR15......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foggy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could be the feed lips that are the problem. Or maybe a mag thats to full - 30 rd mag with 30 rds in it? It's always the 1st round. It seems to hang up on the feed ramp. I may have to try some other mags. I thought the HK mags were supposed to be the berrys, but who knows. Thanks for the info guys.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a $510 reliable AR. It does not have M4 feedramps.
I only shoot steel case through it.
M4 and M4 style should be the same.
I also use GI mags, not the plastic mags.
You don't have to drink the koolaid to have a reliable gun.

Sounds good, but "reliable" is a nebulous word and is damn near useless.

"Reliable" means one thing to a guy who shoots a couple hundred rounds a year on a flat paper target range, it means something else to a guy who shoots 500 rounds a day on a dynamic shooting range, and altogether something different to a guy who straps on 300+ rounds, with more in the truck, and heads towards the sound of the guns in a strange land.

Sure, a $510 AR might run...but will it run when you take it up to it's sustained rate of fire, keep it there for a long period of time, get it hot, dirty, bang it around, and still keep slamming mags in it?

If you don't need to do any of that, then it can still be 'reliable' for you, but not across the full spectrum of possible use.

Foggy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I messed with it today and I thnk I have found the problem. I am using HK 30 rd mags. Looks like when I put 30 rds in that the 1st round, be it a good brass cartridge or the Russian stuff I got at a give away price, wants to hang. So I took the top 2 rds out and everything works like a sewing machine - regardless of the ammo. So I have determined that when the mag is "topped off" that it has to much pressure on the rounds for the bolt to strip the rounds out of the mag. Does this make sense?

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, I have never had any kind of mags, just standard GI. All kinds of different color followers. I always load 30. I can't think of a time this S&W M&P 15 has ever given me a lick of trouble. I know it's not a bottom of the barrel gun, but I'm sure there are higher quality "off the shelf" ARs. I would guess S&Ws are middle of the road in the choice of parts they use.

Now my boy, the 17 year old has a Spike's lower, Model 1 Sales upper that is chrome lined. Same story for reliability, and he is currently going through a quantity over quality issue with his shooting. We shoot every thing in those two guns, from Wolf and Brown Bear, to NATO brass, to store bought fancy varmint stuff.

I think that factory, middle of the road, average guns. are the same as Harleys. When I worked at the dealership, we had varying quality that we got from them. We called the really smooth running and riding bikes Wednesday bikes. Most others were Monday or Friday bikes. You see, on Monday, all those yankees stumble in to work all hung over, and tired from the weekend. The tooling was freshly set up, so things were a little bit too tight. You don't want a Monday bike. By Friday, the tooling is worn, and aching to be replaced. Same for the workers. They can't wait to be gone, so they pay less attention. You don't want a Friday bike. Wednesday bikes are just right. I think My S&W is a Wednesday gun.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I messed with it today and I thnk I have found the problem. I am using HK 30 rd mags. Looks like when I put 30 rds in that the 1st round, be it a good brass cartridge or the Russian stuff I got at a give away price, wants to hang. So I took the top 2 rds out and everything works like a sewing machine - regardless of the ammo. So I have determined that when the mag is "topped off" that it has to much pressure on the rounds for the bolt to strip the rounds out of the mag. Does this make sense?

The HK mags were designed to feed reliably with a full 30 rounds and even seat on a closed bolt with a full 30 rounds. That is one of the reasons they are slightly longer than the GI 30 rounders. Perhaps your particular may is faulty, but it should work fine with all 30 rounds.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
THIS^^^^^^^^ At least with the military ones. Things may have improved since 1997. But up until I retired it was always load 28 instead of 30 if you want it to work.

They did improve since then. Again, the HK "high reliabilty" magazine was made slightly longer to allow a FULL 30 ROUNDS without issue. If the OP's HK mag will not feed a full 30 rounds reliably, then he has a defective magazine or there is another issue.

I have 25 Brownells GI aluminum mags with MagPul Gen 3 followers and they all work 100% with the full 30 rounds.

As always, YMMV

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
They did improve since then. Again, the HK "high reliabilty" magazine was made slightly longer to allow a FULL 30 ROUNDS without issue. If the OP's HK mag will not feed a full 30 rounds reliably, then he has a defective magazine or there is another issue.

I have 25 Brownells GI aluminum mags with MagPul Gen 3 followers and they all work 100% with the full 30 rounds.

As always, YMMV

Sounds great! I only have a standard AR15A2 just like I was issued, then again when I first joined in 1976 we had A1's with the giggle switch. I got myself an A2 instead of an A1 because I liked the heavier barrel and better sights, and it keeps me familiar with the system.

Latest posts

Top Bottom