SHTF tent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you check with their US distributor or just the UK?

I just sent an email to the UK site, actually asked if they had a US distributor. Here is a quote from what they sent be back. This was an automated reply.

Dear Sir / Madam,
Thank you for contacting Concrete Canvas Ltd. and for your interest in our Concrete Canvas Shelters (CCS). A brochure containing CCS dimensions, key facts and deployment instructions can be downloaded from our website at http://www.concretecanvas.co.uk/Docs/CCS_Civil_Brochure_UK.pdf

CCS are fabricated using Concrete Canvas, a flexible cement impregnated fabric that hardens on hydration to form a durable, water and fire proof concrete layer. Videos of CCS deployments and Concrete Canvas installations can be seen on our YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/concretecanvaspg

Concrete Canvas Shelters cost between $20,000 and $30,000 each EXW and are primarily sold to the military sector. CCS are available in two sizes, CCS25 and CCS50 as described on our website. We do not produce CCS in any other sizes.

The pricing represents a fully erected building, as little or no ground preparation is required. Each CCS is provided with an inflator unit and ground pegs for installation. No skilled builders are required, you just inflate, peg and spray with water. The shelters can be ready to use within 24 hours, are designed to last for 20+ years, to resist 200ft/s winds and are safer than conventional buildings in an earthquake. The insulation of a CCS can be improved by covering in earth or if required, we can incorporate an insulating liner at the fabrication stage.

Please contact our exclusive US shelter distributor Cave Systems at [email protected] for ordering information. We are not seeking any further representation/dealerships for CCS at this stage.

For further information visit our website – www.concretecanvas.co.uk
Thanks again,
The Concrete Canvas Team

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I doubt very much that it could support being buried underground, I think the walls are too thin even made of concrete to support tons of earth.

It would be much cheaper to rent or hire someone to dig out a pit and put one or more shipping containers underground. They are designed to hold up to being stacked fully loaded onto ocean going ships to get them overseas. You can buy them all day long for under $3000 and sometimes for half that.

I'm sorry Belthos but you are mistaken on the idea of burying a shipping container. I have first hand knowledge of what that involves. You are correct, they can stack them high, 6 and possibly 7 high. Each container can be loaded to around 65-100,000 pounds depending on how even it is loaded. The strength in the container is in the floor and corner posts. The sides and roof are not load bearing panels. The roof skin of the container is the weakest part of the structure only 16 ga steel with a 3/4" corrugation. A mans weight walking on the roof can cause it to flex. Soil in OK weighs on average 110--120 pounds per cubic foot, I have measured it myself. Do the math, an 8 x 40' container with only a foot of soil would have 38,400 pounds of soil load. You have to put a tremendous amount of reinforcing in the roof to handle that. I have seen it done so I know it is possible.

I have seen other forums where this was discussed at length, some designs were good, others not so much. You bury a container without additional support, the roof will collapse which then draws the sides in which lets the roof collapse even further. The 4 corner posts will still be standing, but what is in the middle will be a heck of a lot smaller.

If you want to build a fairly inexpensive underground storage bunker, this is a much better way. These are 2'x2'x4' concrete blocks from Dolese, they weight 2500 pounds each and cost around $36 each, you pick up price. Don't know about delivery charges. Here is a pic showing them stacked 4 high which makes an 8ft tall wall. No footings are necessary, not with a footprint that large. As long as the ground is level and well packed, they will support themselves. You could build a box with these say 8' wide and as long as you cared to do. Place a 10' long 2x6 across the blocks on 8" centers, screw down a couple layers of 3/4" plywood and you can easily handle a 2 foot soil load. Want more dirt, go with a 2x8 or 2x10. The only hard part is lifting them into place, a good sized Back hoe or preferably a Track hoe is the way to go. That is just the down an dirty, anyone wanting more specifics on this, PM me.

farm9.staticflickr.com_8529_8470390360_bbe67a0dc4.jpg

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool video and methods. I'm just not sure about those dirt/rock walls. At the end, he says to stucco them. Still thinking about that. I just don't know if that would work around here. For long term stability, it seems like you'd need a cinder block wall all the way around your perimeter or you'd need to backfill right up to your container's (supported) walls. I just don't see unsupported dirt/clay walls staying put over time.

The rest made sense though.

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
check out this video shows how to make a under ground shelter/store room with a shipping container

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3EAJex1RVo&feature=share&list=PLrX9ymcccLcSDvJoXNM2dutzwNkTOAgpA

That guy basically paid a concrete slab on the roof of the container and the soil was never against the sides.
Here is a video that shows you what you do not want to do. Fast forward to 5 min, 11 second and freeze the video.
Look at the droop in the ceiling and the bulge inward in the right outer wall. The left wall is the one that is against the other
container so it has no soil load. He does not have near enough reinforcing in the ceilings or on the walls to hold this up, safely that is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JNobiOxTZM&playnext=1&list=PLBCCF37789E2DDC24&feature=results_main

In order to support a 2 foot soil load on a 40' container roof, you would need to have 2x6 cross members on 8" centers spanning
the inside of the roof. If you had welding capability, you could weld a 3x3 angle down the length of both sides that would support
these cross members. Then weld vertical supports to the walls to support the angle iron and resist the side load of the soil. A
4" C channel welded about every 3 feet should suffice. That would be 13 C channels down each side. Then you have to deal with
waterproofing the outside to prevent it eventually rusting through. Its doable, just more involved than most people realize.

Latest posts

Top Bottom