Soooo I want to build an AR - Where to start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hell no I didn't know what I really wanted. It's gone through multiple changes to get to where I like it. Fortunately the classifieds here are pretty good and I was able to make most of my money back on the parts I switched out.

The barrel came from LOKI. It's their 18" stainless double fluted made by Satern.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Hell no I didn't know what I really wanted. It's gone through multiple changes to get to where I like it. Fortunately the classifieds here are pretty good and I was able to make most of my money back on the parts I switched out.

The barrel came from LOKI. It's their 18" stainless double fluted made by Satern.

Which brings up an excellent point, that may have already been mentioned; it's worth buying quality parts because if you do change them out later, you don't get taken to the cleaners. That doesn't always mean top dollar parts, just not bargain basement quality. And, for a first AR, if you have the time (I was impatient), you can find good deals here and other places on lightly used or even new parts. I think I remember someone building a 6.5 Grendel that way for $100s less than retail cost would have been.

spazzwarr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I was starting out again, knowing what I know now, here's what I would be doing.

Palmetto State Armory Lower Receiver - $79.95 - not much if any difference between forged lower brands functionally, just cosmetic... and price. Oh, another note on the lower, if you buy a lower fron the same place as the other parts, then you will be charged the 11% Federal firearms tax. So either purchase at different places or times.

PSA MOE Lower Build Kit - $124.99 - upgrades the standard LPK (lower parts kit) with the Magpul MOE stock, grip, and trigger guard. A typical LPK will be ~$50+, can be found on sale, $40 is as low as I've seen. The buffer tube, buffer, spring, and parts, combined with the Magpul bits make that a pretty good deal. All this stuff is pretty much "bolt on" and can be changed easily.

PSA 16" Mid LW Upper - $469.95 - The barrel and handguards are a little more difficult to change yourself, but can be done at home with basic tools when/if you desire later. Base price for this upper is $329.95, but that doesn't include the BCG (bolt carrier group), which is necessary for the gun to function. That is $70. The other options I would add are the Magpul MOE handguard ($20) and MBUS rear sight ($50). That brings the total to the $469.95 I listed at the beginning.

The total for the rifle would be:
$79.95 + FFL transfer (~$10)
+ $124.99
+ $469.95
+ shipping ($31 for me)

= $715.89

I'll try to explain some of my choices later.

I will second the vote for Palmetto State Armory components. Their complete uppers are a good way to go and I have nothing but compliments for them on other boards. I am putting together my my second AR-15 and went with an 16" upper mid length SS barrel and Wylde chamber. For me this was a good compromise between weight , accuracy, & function. Palmetto is out of these now. I paid $429 all inclusive with $15 shipping. Here is the link: http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...s/psa-16-223-wylde-stainless-steel-upper.html. Also their lower parts kit is excellent. Seems to have a much better trigger than others such as DPS and Delton. MOE stock, handgaurd, grip kit kit is quality and good value.
spazzwarr.

hvlp6347

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with Moboost, play some then build, but I have built a few and the 6.5 Grendel is amazing! so far I am busting 6" steel at 400 every time and 10" everytime at 500 yards! I got the pleasure of building a $2500 rifle for a friend last month and its an amazing 5.56 rifle. I have also built the cheap ones, you can spend as little or as much as your pocket will allow! study study study then do your best and take your time.

hvlp6347

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh and NikatKimber, if you are serious and dont wanna invest in all the tools I will loan you mine, I am no pro, there are many here who have more expierience than I do but I have built a few and I will help you all I can.
PM me if you want help, have question, or want to borrow some tools, and i'll give you my cell #.

J

Jckellison

I started building my AR three years ago. Figuring that I'd do it piece by piece, catching the sales, and building a high quality low cost platform.

Started with a spikes zombie lower
RRA two stage lower parts kit
Yankee Hill upper
Wilson Combat chromed 16" hbar/heavy barrel
UTG American made buffer assembly
Magpul FDE furniture/mags, and the BAD because I found it cheap

I'm just under $600 dollars in it so far, so I figured I'd splurge on the BCG and grip/rail. Probably go Fail Zero for the BCG, Vltor for the rail. Love that CASV

Looking to come in around $1000 for a true high quality, low cost build.

Now if I can only force myself to order the Eotech sight/magnifier combo

TulsaGeoff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right now a complete spikes upper is at aimsurplus . com for $500 + free shipping

Doesn't seem like a bad deal.

I recently ordered my spikes lower and daniel defense upper from there and it was a good experience.

Latest posts

Top Bottom