Start of my new 10/22 build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Slowly gathering parts for my 10/22 target gun. Bought a 10/22 carbine from an add on OSA and a stock from Boyds.

So far... Trigger job following stuff I found on the net, Made a new trigger return plunger and adjusted the length for minimum overtravel, Modified the bolt release, Polished and jeweled the bolt.

Still Need... Carbon fiber barrel, Bipod, Extended magazine release, Scope rail and Scope.

Wasn't long ago I saw what everyone was doing with 10/22's and thought they were nuts. Well a friend brought his new build over with a Butler creak carbon barrel. After we put a couple magazines through it I caught the disease and here I am joining the nuts...

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you jewell the bolt your self?

Yes, not really that hard to do. Just need some way to make the spacing consistent. I clamped the bolt on my mini-mill and used the mill table to accurately set/move the spacing. Used a 1/4 inch brass rod with sticky-back fine sandpaper circles punched out with a paper punch stuck on the end. Chucked it in a drill chuck on the mill and went at it. Not really the proper tool but it worked..

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you get your stock from Richard's Microfit?

Nope... Ordered direct from Boyds..

Forgot I also put a VQ extractor in it when I put the bolt back together. The Magnum Research barrel I want is on B.O. and haven't found anyone that has one in stock so it may be a while before it't finished.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally have the barrel I want in the works. Been looking at all the dealer web sites that advertise the Magnum Research Lite and everyone has been out of stock. Sent Magnum Research an email asking what's the deal? They said they have them in stock but I didn't want to pay full MSRP. Contacted Franson Firearms (Honeybee) and he is going to help me save a few bucks, thanks Don appreciate the help.

All that's left on my list is a scope and bipod :thumbup3:

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No new photos yet as I have it back apart right now. Received the barrel and did a little more work on the bolt, mainly adjusting the head space. Friend came over yesterday with a Center Point 4-16 scope for me to try out. Assembled everything and set a bench up at 25 yards. After zeroing the scope I was playing around and stuck 4 live 22 cartridges in holes that we had shot in the target. We were messing with a used Marlin he just bought and these cartridges were dumped out on the ground clearing jams. First one took 3 shots to hit, I then proceeded to hit 3 out of 3, was pretty cool blowing up 22 cartridges from 25 yards. Good thing to do with that Remington 550 junk many of us bought.

When I get a permanent scope and do the final assembly I'll shoot more photos. Also want to see what it does at 50 and will post target photos if I think about it at the time. This thing has real potential to be a tack driver, I was shooting off a bipod and making one jagged hole using Auto Match bulk. In my book the Magnum Research carbon barrel is worth every penny they charge.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just to wrap this up here is a photo of the finished (for now) product. If someone had told me 6 months ago I would have over $600.00 in a 10/22 I would have told them they are nuts, it's crazy to put that much in a silly 22.

Well it adds up quick..

$175 Donor 10/22
$100.00 Stock
$250.00 Barrel
$80.00 Scope
$70.00 Misc.

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom